We are a direct-to-consumer kids furniture brand built for growing imaginations. In support of that mission, we are looking for a multi-talented graphic designer and illustrator to join our team in North Carolina, helping to push the limits of where our creative and curious brand can go.
We are a product company at our core. Our first and still only product — four foam pieces covered in microsuede called The Nugget — is largely responsible for the powerful word-of-mouth that has spread about our company over the last few years. But unlike many other product companies, our mission of “growing imaginations” means that design and illustration matter more to us than simply executing on marketing initiatives. The creative work produced at Nugget has essential value in and of itself, value that goes beyond the bottom line. We can’t promote creativity and play among kids (and grownups) without embodying it ourselves first, and that means a brand — from our website, to our newsletters, to our packaging, even internal company apparel — that lives up to that standard.
To date, we’ve worked to build a brand and a visual language worthy of the Nugget spirit — pairing an innovative and playful product with creative materials that are colorful, consistent, and memorable. In a few years, we’ve come a long way. By adding another motivated, talented, and collaborative artist to our team, we can go so much further.
See instructions at the bottom for How To Apply!
**NOTE!** Junior designers with strong illustration skills and very little experience are still welcome to apply and submit a portfolio/website! If hired, a junior designer may start at a pay level lower than that advertised here.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have...
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly Photoshop and Illustrator; InDesign and After Effects are a bonus!
- Proficiency not only with graphic design and layout but freehand illustration - tablet or otherwise
- Clear grasp of layout, typography, and hierarchy
- Portfolio of past work demonstrating the above
- Proficiency with general computer skills
- Interest not just in layout or making things "clean" but a desire to raise the bar in terms of our artwork
- “No task is too small” attitude
- Comfortable pitching and fighting for new approaches and ideas
- Passionate about aesthetics in all forms
Everyday Nugget design and illustration tasks look like…
- Email illustrations and layout
- Website illustrations and simple GIF animations
- Designs/illustrations/mockups for product
- Designs and layout for In-package materials
- Design packaging for new and current products
- Photo illustrations for social media
* Competitive salary + bonus
* Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
* 401k employer match
* Free Nugget
* Fun, relaxed working environment
* Pup friendly office! (when we finally get back to the office, that is)
This is a full-time, on-site job in Butner, North Carolina. At our company, all members of our team are “under one roof” - from product assembly, to engineering, to customer experience. It’s important for communication, and culture, that we are in the same place. Currently, due to COVID-19, all Marketing roles are currently working from home, so being able to commute to Butner would not be immediately necessary, but an out-of-town hire for this role would be expected to be able to move to the Durham/Butner area by Q3-Q4 of this year.
Nugget is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Nugget policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000 - $58,000 per year