North Star Marketing is looking for a WordPress Developer to join our highly motivated development team. The developer we are looking for will be responsible for developing WordPress-based themes and plugins primarily using PHP, CSS, and HTML, configuring content management interfaces within WordPress, and entering complex content in Gutenberg or other page builders. The development will include off-the-shelf theme configuration and extension as well as custom theme development.
The position is best suited for a candidate that has early to mid-level experience in WordPress development and support. Candidates should have a good technical acumen to be able to learn concepts quickly and be well-suited to discuss and assist with others with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Create new WordPress themes and edit or configure current themes.
- Implement a development project from inception to launch.
- Test solutions across multiple browsers and platforms in a local testing environment.
- Leverage WordPress APIs (Actions and Filters) and extend the WordPress admin experience.
- Assist in the remediation, enhancement, and maintenance of client sites.
- Solve client challenges with understanding and empathy.
- At least 2-years experience of concentrated WordPress usage in theme development and configuration.
- Ability to clearly communicate with peers and clients (verbal and written) about complex ideas in simple ways.
- Experience with Git and preferably GitHub.
- The ability to set up a local environment for development and testing. We use Local by Flywheel.
- Exceptionally creative problem-solver.
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of CSS preprocessors and front-end build systems. We use Webpack and SCSS.
- Knowledge of and experience with meeting WCAG 2.1 standards.
- Evidence of contribution to the broader web development community.
- Experience with Object-Oriented Programming and RESTful APIs.
Examples of Work
- Training a client on their new WordPress website
- Creating a video for how to add a new user in WordPress
- Troubleshooting a client’s support request
- Assisting a marketing manager with questions about a client’s site
- Working with Git, local development and tools (Local by Flywheel, PHPloy)
- Adding scrolling testimonials to a current website home page
- Changing the style and layout of a photo gallery
- Participating in development on new website at the direction of the project’s lead developer