The Director, Application Operations will build and mature an engineering practice to provides operational excellence of the applications in the portfolio. This position has overall accountability for the application operations globally for departments of merchandising and inventory. This position requires a strong understanding of industry best practices related to managing application operations in a hybrid environment. The role will be responsible for transforming the operations team from reactive maintenance focus to predictive prevention and consistent recovery focus. Building strong partnerships with departments outside of their own will be critical to their success.
- Create a Service reliability engineering culture to ensures operational success against service level indicators and service level objectives.
- Engages, directs and develops the Application Operations team and staff.
- Leads continuous improvement activities in partnership with engineering groups and other IT functional areas to foster reliability and release engineering through automation and process re-architecture.
- Leads the development of Application Operations strategy and road-maps in alignment with the future IT vision and delivery standards collaborating closely with engineering counterparts.
- Participates in IT strategy planning activities, bringing a current knowledge and future vision of our application technology and systems, and best practices as related to the needs of the business.
- Develop, implement, and manage a balance of push-n-pull culture to radiate the Application health with the focus on the specific business metrics.
- Responsible for optimizing vendor relationships through contract management, financial and quantitative analyses, and relationship management, to effectively create mutually beneficial opportunities for the company.
- Work closely with all IT teams and business groups to manage customer satisfaction and direct investigation and remediation of service level breakdowns.
- Day-to-day management of the Reliability Team involves instilling vision, mentoring, coaching, removing obstacles, making decisions, helping individuals grow/reach professional goals and providing frequent feedback to drive top performance.
- Direct a team of external partners, contractors, and consultants along with internal team members.
- Hire and develop the best talent for your team.
- Bachelor’s degree in operations, engineering, analytics, mathematics, statistics or similar or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10+ years experience with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role within large enterprises managing teams on matters both strategic and tactical.
- Proven leadership experience building application operations excellence, with strong influencing skills. The ideal candidate will be able to manage up and across the organization as this will be critical to their success.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to collaborate cross-functionally and work in a fast-paced matrix environment.
- In-depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. retail, fulfillment, inventory, merchandising, etc.).
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics. Deep familiarity with monitoring and performance tools.
- Strong expertise in managing applications in a hybrid cloud environment spanning across varying tech stacks.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing data, forming insights, implications, and recommendations, and translating into persuasive presentations suitable for senior management.
- Approach work with a customer/client-first mentality.
- Strong understanding of ITIL processes to include: Incident/Problem/SRM/Change Management and ability to drive process maturity across the entire IT organization.
- Must have experience managing enterprise-class IT Operations in a multi/hybrid cloud environment. Sufficient technical depth around enterprise monitoring platforms, cloud management, instrumentation and automation needed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once with the expectation of being on-time, on-budget, and delivered with a high level of quality.
- Ability to convey very technical information in a non-technical manner to a wide variety of audiences.
- Strong analytical and process management skills and have a broad understanding of business strategy and operations.