Dexcom, Inc. empowers people to take control of diabetes through innovative continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Dexcom has emerged as a leader of diabetes care technology. By listening to the needs of users, caregivers, and providers, Dexcom simplifies and improves diabetes management around the world.
About the team:
We are a multi-disciplinary team of user experience designers, industrial designers, visual designers, user researchers, instructional designers, and software developers. We collaborate closely with each other, engineering, and product management to create highly usable, beautiful products that make a true impact to millions of people around the globe.
At Dexcom, you will help us build products to improve lives with our innovative next generation Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) system. We are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We build delightful and accessible products that display data and insights across multiple platforms. You will follow the principles of user-centric design thinking to make data meaningful and actionable for our users.
About this position:
Are you excited to apply your design expertise to help improve the health of people around the world? Do you strive to deliver products that are elegant & meaningful? Do you put the human experience at the center of your design philosophy? Then perhaps this role is for you.
As a Lead UX Designer, you will:
- Collaborate with designers, stakeholders, and partners to develop design strategies and solutions.
- Synthesize user research, strategy, and design vision into impactful product experiences.
- Present design proposals with confidence, seeking to inform and influence the audience.
- Lead large-scale workshops, sometimes with executive-level participants, that define the problem and the opportunity space.
- Manage the UX design process from ideation to implementation.
- Create and maintain development plans.
- Create compelling experiences and promote User Experience Design across Dexcom.
- Utilize user-centric design thinking to make data meaningful and actionable for our users.
- Work at a variety of fidelities, matching the approach to the problem at hand.
- Think through macro and micro-interactions and how they can connect throughout the product ecosystem.
- Engage in a wide variety of strategic and tactical activities.
- Craft intuitive workflows and processes for users of Dexcom apps.
- Lead on sustaining product work through design improvements.
- Lead on next-generation product work through innovative design and prototyping.
- Leverage, and contribute to, our Design System to maintain consistency across our product portfolio.
- Work closely with our User Research and Human Factors teams to build prototypes for user testing, then iterate based on the findings.
- Learn from existing members of the team and mentor your colleagues.
- Forge ahead despite ambiguity or incomplete information.
- Be focused on producing best-in-class product design, on pushing the boundaries of what has been achieved in the healthcare field.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advocate for the users, both patients with diabetes and those that support them.
- Develop app workflows and prototypes (from rough comps thru refined specifications) to communicate app functionality to stakeholders and support Human Factors testing.
- Push forward new design ideas proactively and take ownership of tasks and products.
- Plan and support early research activities that align with business goals, uncover customer needs that result in actionable recommendations that drive user-centered ideation, definition and iteration.
- Support early stage design activities, such as creating personas and experience models.
- Translate research findings into design recommendations and communicate results to interdisciplinary project teams.
- Understand the world of mobile app design and consider user interface design and interaction design when designing UX workflows.
- Socialize new design ideas and help gain alignment from stakeholders.
- Visualize data in a way that users can understand and act on.
- Help users understand the significance of data by communicating visually, verbally, and via interactions.
- Collaborate closely with development engineers to make sure designs are implemented as intended across iOS, Android and Web apps.
- Guide others to make UX design decisions for mobile and wearable interfaces.
- Design and lead early stage design direction definition activities, including creating personas or experience models, and leading brainstorming sessions.
- Lead large-scale workshops, sometimes with executive level participants, that define the problem and the opportunity space.
- Lead thru planning, action, and delivery. Work with the team to find the right solutions. Follow through with the plan by delivering results on time.
- Anticipate design problems and seek to resolve them before they obstruct progress.
- Be a design diplomat. Communicate design/project status to stakeholders and design partners. Be willing to compromise to find a mutually agreeable solution.
- Stay organized- keeping information such as inputs, requirements, and outputs clear while moving fast.
- Able to manage competing priorities and projects.
- Track design activities for multiple projects to maintain understanding and anticipate changing project needs.
- Deliver designs, requirements, schedules, and documentation with limited oversight from design managers.
- Be a positive influence on our culture- build our teams, departments, and company up through words and actions.
- Expertise with modern design and prototyping tools; Sketch, Abstract, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of designing for mobile apps, Design Systems and experience using Material Design or iOS HIG.
- Understands the challenges of building products that need to serve iOS and Android platforms with speaking one holistic design language.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies. Familiar with breaking down UX designs into Epics and Stories.
- Passion for design and creating new products by addressing user needs.
- Excited to learn. Up-to-date knowledge of UX trends and abreast of competitor products and industry trends. Interest in new technology and software for improved design efficiency and quality.
- Thrive in highly collaborative, fluid, fast-paced corporate environment
- Strong communication skills. Able to discuss tradeoffs between design options. Able to communicate ideas and designs to wider audiences unfamiliar with design processes.
- Advanced critical thinking. Willingness to ask, “Why are we doing this?” and apply problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage schedules, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines.
- Strong sense of accountability. Able to take ownership and lead product design.
- Able to write and finalize user stories based on UX Designs and Requirements.
- Experience in healthcare technology or consumer product design.
- Experience thinking about or designing for accessibility using WCAG 2.0 or 2.1
- Knowledge in the formal elements of UI design: color, layout, balance, proportion, rhythm, typography, iconography, emphasis, and unity
- Knowledge of animating using After Effects/Lottie, Haiku.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8-12 years of related experience. At this level a graduate degree may be desirable with 4 years of related experience.
- Degree in in Human-Computer Interaction, UI Design, Visual Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, or another design-related field is ideal
- Portfolio of work demonstrating exceptional UX design skill and design process. Include your online portfolio link or PDF in your application, including any required passwords.
Travel and Location Requirements:
- Travel up to 25%
- After the marketing team returns from pandemic work from home restrictions. We may require travel to San Diego or Portland office at least 4 times a year.
- This position may be based in our San Diego headquarters, Portland satellite office, or remotely located.
- If remote, we require consistent working hours that have at least three hours of overlap between 8am-5pm Pacific Standard Time.
- Other research or continuing education travel (domestic or international) may be required up to 8 times a year.
For candidates who are asked to interview with us, the process will include:
- Zoom/Video call with Design Manager. Talk broadly about yourself and your design mindset.
- Video interview presentation:
- Group presentation to the design team of one or more of your projects. Discuss the project background, your role, and process in making design decisions.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Dexcom. Only authorized staffing and recruiting agencies may use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes on specific requisitions. Dexcom does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to the Talent Acquisition team, Dexcom employees or any other company location. Dexcom is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.