About Tokyo Academics:
Tokyo Academics is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics from around the world. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends to a growing number of part-time and full-time individuals located in Tokyo, as well as working remotely. We are an organization of experts deeply passionate about helping students meet their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
We are looking for an independent self-starter to prepare the accounting, bookkeeping and financial reporting of the monthly books and records, including budgeting, metrics and KPIs, cash flow planning, credit allocations, cost accounting, and administering procedures to accomplish these functions. Additional responsibilities include accounting operations (accounts payable, receivable, dispersing of stipend payments, payroll, and bank settlement functions). The successful applicant is a seasoned accounting and finance professional having worked in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multitask and identify productivity improvement and automation initiatives.
This is a remote role, you can work from home but must be available for meetings during our regular business hours (10am - 7pm Japan Standard Time).
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced startup of 80+ team members around the world. You will play a significant role in helping the organization continue to grow through providing the financial data necessary for the company decision-making process.
What you will work on:
Planning and coordinating all accounting operational functions
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Coordinating with external accountants for tax planning
- Develop systems to process payroll account transactions (e.g. salaries, benefits, garnishments, deductions, taxes and third party payments)
- Ensure compliance with internal policies
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes and other deductions
- Processing of payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, raises) and system upgrades
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors
- Performs other duties as assigned by lead management
Our ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration required; Master’s preferred
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designation preferred
- Fluent or Native English (Speaking, Reading, Writing); some Japanese reading skill is a bonus
- 3-5 years of relevant accounting experience
- Google Sheets and/or Microsoft Excel data analysis proficiency (including pivot tables, slicers, etc.)
- Knowledge of payroll and Human Resources
- Highly organized and detail oriented individual with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Excellent organizational and prioritization management skills
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Competitive compensation package (monthly salary range: 130,000 to 180,000 Japanese yen, further negotiable based on experience and skill set)
- Bonuses based on company growth & performance
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Join a growing bootstrapped company with a lot of potential for growth
- Autonomy to implement ideas and have a significant impact
- FT: 40hrs/week, flexible schedule
- Working remotely, but must be available for meetings during business hours (10am-7pm Japan Standard Time)
TO APPLY - PLEASE COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION THROUGH OUR WEBSITE: