Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
Technology with a Purpose. OCLC supports thousands of libraries in making information more accessible and more useful to people around the world. OCLC provides shared technology services, original research and community programs that help libraries meet the ever-evolving needs of their users, institutions and communities. With office locations around the globe, OCLC employees are dedicated to offering premier services and software to help libraries cut costs while keeping pace with the demands of our information-driven society.
The User Experience & Visual Design team passionately investigates and strategically crafts frictionless human experiences that facilitate the sharing of the world’s collected knowledge. Because what is known must be shared. Within the User Experience & Visual Design team, the Senior User Experience Designer is responsible for delivering experience designs for complex web applications that strategically align to business needs, user journeys and personas. The Senior User Experience Designer closely collaborates with User Experience Research and the cross-functional team to help define requirements, concepts, and designs to produce high-quality interactive products that support an overall best-in-class experience for our member institutions and their staff/patrons globally.
Work collaboratively with product managers, software engineers and the cross-functional team from initial strategy to concept, create, execute interface designs, flows, specifications, and user research including usability studies.
Identify and action on opportunities for interface consistency, interaction evolution and seamlessness across products. Apply enterprise design system best practices and design consistently.
Define how features align to user journeys and product capabilities. Consider the holistic experience and approach across products and domains.
Facilitate cross-functional ideation and alignment sessions.
Drive clarity and alignment in ambiguous situations.
• Interpret user needs and goals into application design and drive changes for usability improvements based on user feedback.
Work with research teams through research methodologies and data gathering, design thinking activities, heuristic and competitive reviews, developing personas and user journeys as well as usability testing and analysis.
• Present findings and deliverables to a variety of stakeholders, from business owners to team members.
• Create, maintain, iterate and update documentation including UX wireframes based on use cases and business requirements.
• Document UI specifications for visual designs and collaborate with development staff to ensure implementation of visual and interaction designs.
Work closely with UI Designers to create mock-ups and low-fidelity prototypes that can be rapidly and/or systematically evaluated.
Work closely with engineers/developers and QA testers to ensure that the product is developed according to experience and design specifications.
• Provide innovative design vision with a strong focus on usability and accessibility.
• You advocate for the user and their needs while also considering business and technical context.
• You have strong oral and written communication skills are able to present rationale and deliverables to a variety of stakeholders, from cross-functional team members to member libraries.
You are comfortable presenting work through narrative, explanation of design strategy, appropriate context and delivery of rationale.
You have a point of view and are able to articulate what makes good, useable design when presenting work.
You have a persuasive and credible presentation and communication style. You are excited about your work, our industry, and our member institutions.
You are open to feedback but also know how and when to defend strategy and design choices.
You are an expert at handling yourself in both collaborative and challenging situations.
• You love to innovate and apply design trends where appropriate.
• You love to work through user interactions including the design of animations and micro-interactions.
• You exhibit a high degree of ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness and work well with ambiguity and limited direction.
• You are autonomous, detail-oriented, and comfortable working on global cross-functional teams in a fast-paced Agile environment.
• You are able to initiate and drive complex projects to completion.
• You have knowledge and understanding of accessibility standards, interaction and visual design trends and best practices.
• You have working knowledge of front-end web technologies.
• You have mastered the user-centered design process, contemporary UX and UI patterns and design philosophies including Atomic Design.
• Portfolio showcasing experience strategy and specification artifacts (i.e. user journey maps, service blueprints, flows and wireframes) that demonstrate complex interaction design.
• You have working knowledge of relevant software & tools, collaboration tools, principles and digital product design & development best practices.
• 5+ years of UX industry experience working on complex Web and/or application designs.
• Bachelor's Degree in human-computer interaction, interactive design, graphic design, art or related field.
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online portfolio or PDF of your work.