Key Tech is an experienced product development company, located in Baltimore, Maryland. We specialize in developing advanced technology products for clients in the medical and industrial markets. Typical projects range from molecular diagnostic lab equipment to hand-held drug delivery devices. Key Tech’s client pool, while mostly confidential, includes global companies such as GE Healthcare, B. Braun Medical, Canon US Life Sciences, Rheonix, and Thermo Fisher Scientific. We seek out and enjoy complex projects with technically challenging engineering problems and intricate user interactions. Humanizing complex technology products is what we do.
Our office is located in a renovated vaudeville theater in downtown Baltimore. The surrounding area of Federal Hill is a short walk to the Inner Harbor and numerous bars and restaurants. One of Key Tech’s core principles is doing fun work with fun people, and the unique office and fun neighborhood embodies this philosophy. At Key Tech, our people are our biggest strength. That fact is embodied in Key Tech’s organizational structure, we are very horizontally organized, and the company is 100% employee-owned.
Key Tech is seeking to hire a User Experience Designer who will complement Key Tech’s existing group of talented industrial designers. At Key Tech, designers wear many hats and work on a variety of programs. Common projects range from conducting VoC studies, advocating for end users in technical brainstorming sessions, analyzing product workflows and optimizing user touchpoints, as well as designing UIs that are both aesthetically pleasing and functional. As part of the product development process, the User Experience Designer will also manage GUI design-centric projects, serving as the client’s main point of contact. In addition to product development, it is expected that the User Experience Designer will be able to support the Business Development team by participating in content meetings and assisting in proposal development.
Key Tech is a product development company focused on high-tech medical devices, so it is also important for the User Experience Designer to understand how design fits into medical device development, particularly usability engineering and user experience design. The User Experience Designer must possess a holistic understanding of all aspects of product design, and how these aspects drive the development of a high-tech product within the context of simultaneous technical development. As a User Experience Designer, you will be a core member of Key Tech’s team as we develop world-class medical products.
Key Tech is a company that encourages employees’ growth both in experience and responsibility within the company. The User Experience Designer will be in a prime position to help shape and grow Key Tech’s design department. This role comes with opportunity to quickly expand into further responsibility.
· Create elegant and useful products for use in the medical, life sciences, and technical markets by designing user interfaces incorporating brand and market strategy
· Work on multi-disciplinary teams to design physical user interfaces, bring GUIs from storyboard into actual instruments, and design and prototype mockups for usability feedback
· Organize and manage usability engineering activities within development, research, and testing programs, including analyzing user workflows, creating storyboards and wireframes, and simulating GUIs.
· Present UX Design work to clients
· Further promote a core philosophy of design in Key Tech’s development process
· Participate in developing the internal processes used by Key Tech for product design
· Provide mentorship and guidance for Key Tech staff involved in design activities
· Participate in prospective client meetings
· 5-10 years of experience with product design and development (salary commensurate with experience)
· Experience and passion for inspiring and leading teams
· Excellent communication skills
· Experience with managing projects and client relations
· An excellent portfolio, displaying a strong understanding of core UX skills including sketches, user workflows, wireframes, paper, and digital prototypes
· Knowledge of medical device product development and the specific role User Experience plays in that process
· Mastery of information gathering techniques including observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, competitive audits, market research, and other forms of discovery
· A strong foundational knowledge of information architecture
· Desire to work hand in hand with in-house developers
· Experience with connected products or systems (not just web/mobile)
· Demonstrated ability to prototype ideas at a variety of fidelities, while not being tied to any specific tool or technique.
· Experience with prototyping software such as Adobe XD, InVision, Zeplin, etc.
· Experience creating UX Documentation including UX annotations, style guides/tiles, patterns libraries
· Familiarity with physical prototyping tools such as Arduino or Raspberry Pi is a plus
· Familiarity with physical product design and how UX methods work in both the physical and digital design spaces is a plus