Designlab is seeking a visual designer/illustrator to help us tell visual stories that educate and inspire our UI/UX design students and readers.
We're a nimble, product-driven team focused on building the best experience in the world for creative skills training, and thousands of students across the globe have already advanced their skills and changed careers with our help.
Our mission is to empower creators to do the work they love, and this extends to our culture and philosophy about work. Thanks to the quality of our product—rated best in class by reviewers at SwitchUp & Course Report—we’ve built a passionate community of students, mentors, alumni, and hiring managers.
As an Illustrator, the visuals you create will be used in our content and communications, such as on the blog, in emails, social media, and advertising. Our ideal candidate will have experience designing in Figma, or other design tools like Adobe Illustrator, and will have an exciting portfolio showcasing their visual design work.
How our team works
We are a fully remote team who largely works in an autonomous way; this allows room for creativity from you as the designer. In illustration briefs, we’ll give you either a summary of the content/communication or the actual copy, as well as any initial design thoughts we have, and you’d be able to take it from there. We want to see what you can do! After a first draft, you’ll work collaboratively with our communications team on any iterations required until everyone feels that the work represents our brand voice and the concept at hand.
On the note of brand voice, we work within a designated color palette and consistent set of style guidelines. We also already have a library of illustration assets/graphics that can be repurposed for designs you can create moving forward, so you won’t always have to start from scratch. That being said, we’re always open to new, creative design ideas to evolve our brand.
This is a part time role requiring around 15 hours of work per week. Here’s what typical week of deliverables looks like:
- 3 post header images
- 2 email header images
- Social media and advertising images as needed
- Infographics, GIFs, or other interactive visual content as needed
Skills & Experience
- You are a master at time management and never miss a deadline
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are able to create visually appealing illustrations according to a style guide
- You have an excellent handle on typography, layout, and color
- You are creative and skilled in a visual design software
- You can take minimal guidance and run with it
- You work quickly and efficiently to get the job done
- (Bonus) You have experience creating GIFs and animations from scratch as well as animating existing assets
- Work from home (we’re a fully distributed team with members in NYC, Lisbon, and more)
- Flexible hours (you set your own schedule)
- Occasional in-person team retreats (public health guidelines permitting)
- Work on an awesome product that’s innovating in the online education space and teaching people modern design skills all over the globe
How to apply
We’ll contact you to let you know whether we’re moving forward with your application by the end of Friday January 22nd.