This role is within the Canada Retail area of IT, encompassing applications and processes that are reshaping the way Canadian store associates serve customers. You will be exposed to the latest SAP technologies running at a large enterprise scale. You will work with business partners to understand our strategic initiatives. The purpose of this position is to serve the team as a Staff Software Engineer in our Middleware (SAP PI) and Development Space. This position entails being the subject matter expect for all items related to middleware development. You will have the opportunity to develop in other technologies (Java, UI5) if you desire.
The Staff Software Engineer is responsible for providing in depth technical guidance and expertise. A Staff Software Engineer will contribute to system architecture by driving design decisions and working with the architecture team. A Staff Software Engineer will also contribute to application source code throughout product development and delivery cycles. In addition, a candidate is expected to have knowledge on software industry trends and emerging technologies.
A successful Staff Software Engineer will have strong technical communication skills. He/she will mentor more junior developers (and contractors), conduct code reviews, and provide input and guidance on coding standards and practices. In addition, a Staff Software Engineer is expected to collaborate with matrix teams to accomplish the goals of the enterprise.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
70% - Delivery & Execution:
- Collaborates and pairs with other product team members to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
- Documents, reviews and ensures that all quality and change control standards are met
- Configures commercial off the shelf solutions to align with evolving business needs
- Creates meaningful dashboards, logging, alerting, and responses to ensure that issues are captured and addressed proactively
20% - Support & Enablement:
- Fields questions from other product teams or support teams
- Monitors tools and participates in conversations to encourage collaboration across product teams
- Provides application support for software running in production
- Proactively monitors production Service Level Objectives for products
10% - Learning:
- Participates in learning activities around modern software design and development core practices (communities of practice)
- Proactively views articles, tutorials, and videos to learn about new technologies and best practices being used within other technology organizations
NATURE AND SCOPE
Typically reports to the Software Engineer Manager or Sr. Manager.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Environment: Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Travel: Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in Middleware technologies
- Experience in designing and configuring interfaces in different versions of SAP PI (SAP PI 7.4 & SAP PI 7.5)
- Familiar with different monitoring tools like Component Monitoring, Message Monitoring, Performance Monitoring, Cache Monitoring etc.
- Experience in designing and configuring interfaces in different versions of Mercator a plus.
- Experience in converting structures and mappings from Mercator to SAP PI structures and mappings.
- Experience with EDI Specific Interfaces
- Extensively worked on different Adapters (JDBC, HTTP, IDoc, RFC, File, XI, SOAP, WS and JMS).
- Experience in Providing estimations for SAP PI or other related middleware technology.
- Experience in Creating Software Catalog and System Catalog objects in SLD.
- Exposure to Java or Java Script a plus
- Served in senior/lead developer capacity for agile product teams consisting of 3-6 members
- Demonstrate ability to understand business problems and articulate a technical solution.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write technical documents.
- Ability to communicate issues and recommend solutions in a timely manner to Management.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Familiar with Waterfall and Agile development methodologies
- Retail experience would be a plus
- BS Computer Science or related field
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Cultivates Innovation: Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm
- Business Insight: Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization s goals
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Global Perspective: Taking a broad view when approaching issues; using a global lens
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Manages Ambiguity: Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
- Optimizes Work Processes: Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Self-Development: Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
- Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations