Principal Designers elevate the quality of our work and, as seasoned craft-focused designers, bring a passion for product design thinking and execution on a variety of project types and product platforms. Principal Designers at MetaLab are consistently relied upon to deliver on more complex tracks of work on their projects, and are often consulted on additional projects to improve the quality of work across the company.
- Design digital product architecture, flows, visual language and systems. Take product ideas from concept to execution and delivery.
- Work along research to generate and evaluate design opportunities. Test solutions using storyboards and prototypes.
- Solve complex user and business problems using design thinking.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of the product and design decisions inside projects.
- Work hand-in-hand with engineers to foster innovation and ensure feasibility and fidelity of implementation.
- Lead specific phases of projects and manage a host of different engagement and stakeholder types.
- Prototype new approaches to the work, respectfully declining the status quo pushing both clients and colleagues outside of their comfort zones.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of the product and design decisions throughout the project, with support from Design Leadership.
- Help promote an inspiring and inclusive environment for the team.
- If desired, opportunity to coach and mentor other designers.
The must-have shortlist
- 5+ years of product design experience at a digital product agency or consultancy, ideally in a senior-level role.
- Proven experience working through complex areas of a product, navigating around technical & business requirements.
- Demonstrated mastery of UI/UX principles, best practices, and common design tools (read: Figma). Bonus points for interaction design skills (think After Effects, Principle, or Framer).
- A portfolio that reflects your strengths in both UX and visual design.
- An ability to define and simplify scope in a way that helps everyone arrive at a deeper understanding and appreciation of the work.
- Fluent in translating stakeholder goals, user research, and complex user flows into simple UIs.
- Driven to stay ahead of desktop and mobile best practices, developments and trends in web, mobile and iOS design.
- Able to clearly communicate compelling design rationales internally and for clients.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and client briefs that lead to more questions than answers.
- Motivated by feedback, and by the opportunity to improve in your role, in the work, and in how you work together as a team.
Equal opportunity employer
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criteria. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box? Reach out anyways! We’re an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life. We hire based on talent and we’re proud of our global perspective.