Do you enjoy modernizing and maintaining existing software? Do you love the challenge of upgrading a big and critical system? Does reconstructing a database from the binary files without any documentation so you can integrate it with a modern framework sound like a fun challenge? If given a choice, would you choose to hunt and fix bugs over writing new features? Does refactoring, building tests first, and creating easy-to-read, intention-revealing code bring you an immense feeling of satisfaction?
If so, you have the attitude we’re looking for! Lead developers at Corgibytes, or Lead Code Whisperers as we call them, work directly with clients to help them migrate platforms, address security vulnerabilities, upgrade databases and infrastructure, integrate existing applications with obscure systems, and more. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply, even if you think you don’t meet all the criteria we’ve outlined below.
Our ideal candidate is comfortable with a broad range of tech stacks (and is excited to learn new ones), stays up-to-date with industry best practices, uses Test-Driven Development as a daily practice, is interested in potentially contributing blog posts or presentations, loves to mentor other developers to help them grow in their careers, enjoys pair/mob programming, gives detailed feedback through pull requests and code reviews, finds beauty in a well-written commit message, has successfully led software projects, and is a maintainer at heart.
This remote position is full-time (30-40 hrs per week) with lots of flexibility over where and when you work. There is little to no travel required for this position. The team usually operates in the Eastern Time Zone.
We pay our staff hourly to provide the most scheduling flexibility and pay the same rate for each role to ensure equal pay for equal work. The hourly rate for this position is USD$67.66 for W2 employees.
- Lots of schedule flexibility
- Paid Time Off - up to 240 hours (6 forty-hour work weeks) per year
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance
- Paid time for professional development
- All-team on-site retreats about once per year (once it’s safe to travel again)
WHAT CORGIBYTES DOES
Corgibytes is a boutique consultancy that specializes in modernizing software. Think of your favorite HGTV remodeling show, but with code. Our mission is to joyfully remodel software applications to be more stable, scalable, and secure. We are actively working to create a world where software maintenance is celebrated, codebases are nurtured to provide lasting value, and our clients generate revenue, lower costs, and reduce risk as a result of our work.
Our founders are recognized thought-leaders in the world of software modernization, keynoting frequently
at software conferences around the world, writing articles
in respected periodicals, blogging
about their ideas, and interviewing software leaders on their podcast
. We encourage you to check out the community we founded over at Legacy Code Rocks!
to connect with other folks who love software maintenance.
CULTURE AT CORGIBYTES
At Corgibytes, we approach our work through the lens of these core values:
- Act With Empathy: Listening and understanding is at the very heart of our culture and we consider empathy a critical technical skill. Consider the people who are impacted by your work: your clients, your users, your teammates, and even your future self.
- Adopt a Growth Mindset: Solving problems that seem intractable is a big part of what we do. Maintain an attitude of possibility, persevere through challenges, and commit to personal growth.
- Calm the Chaos: Complex problems require your prefrontal cortex to be engaged. Resist the temptation of an urgency-based culture by focusing on prevention instead of hot-fixes, prioritizing self-care, and developing a steady working rhythm.
- Choose Candor: Healthy conflict in a psychologically-safe environment is a critical component of a high-functioning team. We hold each other accountable and strengthen our work by challenging ideas respectfully and directly. Speak up and share your point of view, even when it’s hard.
- Communication is Just as Important as Code: Effective communication is our cultural glue and it is everyone’s job. Produce durable artifacts of your thinking and reject false dichotomies that present code and communication as separate things. No one is “technical” or “non-technical”; everyone is both.
- Craft in Context: Domain understanding is critical and working in a vacuum leads to problems. Before you leap to conclusions, take the time to understand the problem and match your solution to the situation.
We have a commitment outside of codebases as well. At Corgibytes, we’re really good at transforming broken systems. We modernize code through continuous improvement and marginal gains, and we apply these same practices to systems of social oppression. Similar to how technical debt makes a codebase difficult to work with, there are institutional barriers for some individuals that have accumulated over time. Blindly operating within these structures hurts people and prevents organizations from benefiting from the wide range of perspectives needed to thrive. There’s a lot of opportunity for improvement and we use our core values and our talents as menders to have a positive impact on our society.
Does this sound like you? Awesome! We live these values every day, and they’re a guide in making decisions, no matter how small. They’ve helped us develop a culture where folks are autonomous, responsible, and work hard without feeling burned out or like they have to choose between family and work. We’re the type of company where it’s common to see a toddler bouncing on a knee during a meeting. As an intentionally distributed team, we focus more on results than micromanagement. Our core values are key to our culture, as are our pillars of autonomy, balance, inclusion, and trust.
WHAT YOU WOULD BE DOING:
- Adding value to existing software applications through modernization and maintenance by:
- Hunting for and squashing bugs
- Stabilizing infrastructures
- Adding test coverage
- Refactoring code
- Documenting findings
- Upgrading versions
- Paying down technical debt
- Integrating systems (which can sometimes be quite obscure)
- Addressing security vulnerabilities
- Migrating platforms
- Reducing complexity
- Improving CI/CD pipelines
- Solving complex architecture problems
- And other related activities
- Managing the cadence of work with outstanding communication and prioritization
- Finding solutions within client budgets
- Explaining technical recommendations in plain language
- Assessing code and providing executive-friendly actionable steps
- Providing feedback through pull requests and code reviews
- Helping other team members by pairing and having mob sessions
- Contributing to reports sent to clients to keep them informed and able to make decisions
- Providing daily stand-ups and weekly retrospectives to assigned clients
- Contributing to internal projects as needed
- Sharing experiences through the occasional article on the company blog
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Finds pleasure and joy in software maintenance and modernization
- Ability and desire to solve complex architectural problems
- Experience in and eagerness to quickly learn other programming languages and frameworks
- Ability to clearly articulate the business value of technical choices
- Consistent practice of writing clean code using Test-Driven Development
- Practices Living Documentation and provides a continuous context of work performed
- Incorporates DevOps best practices to deliver working software quickly
- Outstanding consulting skills
- Uses empathy, excellent communication, and trust to solve problems collaboratively
- Embraces the philosophy outlined in the Agile Manifesto and manages projects according to its principles
- Excellent English written and verbal communication
- Stipulations in the client contract for this position require both a W2 status and U.S. citizenship
WHAT WE CONSIDER AN ASSET:
- Experience working in a growing company, leading a team, and/or being an entrepreneur
- Demonstrated ability of managing projects by prioritizing work to be performed and regularly negotiating scope, timeline, and budget
- Experience leading group programming sessions
- Joyfully discusses the philosophy and practices of modernizing software
- Deep familiarity with the content on the Corgibytes blog and podcast
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Regularly shares technical knowledge and ideas by contributing to development communities, writing blog posts/articles, and/or speaking at conferences
- Education, certificates, or work experience in the areas of software development
- Experience as a mentor, having helped others grow in their career
- Familiarity with Brené Brown’s body of work
- Experience working on a remote team
READY TO APPLY?
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (visible or invisible), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. We believe in creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture where people can show up as their authentic selves. One of our founders was featured in the book Erasing Institutional Bias: How to Create Systemic Change for Organizational Inclusion
by Dr. Tiffany Jana for some of the ideas she has implemented.