Forem is looking for an experienced Software Engineer with a passion for Site Reliability who is ready to help lead the charge when it comes to crafting a reliable, scalable, and high-quality platform. Heading into 2021, we will be drastically increasing the number of Forem instances that we are operating. It will be your job to work closely with our systems and software teams to ensure that our fleet of Forem instances is sufficiently monitored, has adequate resources, and can be easily deployed and accessed. You will also be responsible for guiding our software engineering teams when it comes to writing reliable, scalable code and ensuring SRE best practices are upheld throughout our development process.
- Continuously look for ways to optimize our current Rails application to ensure it is reliable and scalable
- Work closely with software engineers to ensure they are always delivering reliable and scalable solutions
- Help monitor all of our infrastructure in an effort to anticipate problems before they become larger issues
- Work with our systems team to manage our application’s use of our datastores Redis, Postgres, and Elasticsearch
- Collaborate with the systems engineering team when software updates are needed for infrastructure changes
Skills we’d like to see
- Deep understanding of Ruby and Rails and how it interacts with infrastructure (servers and databases)
- Experience with Postgres or some other relational database. Redis and Elasticsearch experience would also be a plus.
- A thoughtful consideration towards performance when writing and reviewing code
- Experience working with and scaling infrastructure monitoring and observability systems (e use Datadog and Honeycomb).
- An ability to easily deliver on multiple competing priorities with little supervision
- An ability to constantly consider the big picture of a system when making decisions
- Sharp problem solving skills. In other words, bugs don’t scare you!
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A motivated, self starter who enjoys working independently but can collaborate with other team members when needed
is open source software for building inclusive communities. It powers platforms such as the DEV Community, among many others. The platform is flexible and hardened by the scrutiny of thousands of developers. To learn more about the future of Forem, check out our announcement post on DEV
. We’re a company that values emotional intelligence, learning and growth. We hire diverse, well-rounded and communicative people who want to build an inclusive software ecosystem as badly as we do.
DEV Community is the fastest growing social network for software developers. The DEV mission and brand is defined by helping all software workers achieve their goals and find community while building towards something bigger together.
- Medical, Dental, Vision plan
- Unlimited vacation
- Flexible Equipment and Conference budget
- Co-Working budget (we are a 100% Distributed Team)
- Monthly Wellness Budget
- Ergonomic consultations
- Generous Parental Leave Policy