We are looking for a Software Engineer (Backend) to join our team and secure the growth of Zalando marketplace.
Building the zDirect product (Zalando’s portal for our partners, also known as a “marketplace) We operate a large number of software systems, all working together in an orchestra of microservices. Like a concert. The performance of our systems is vital for both Zalando and our consumers, therefore we put a lot of effort into building them steady, reliable and strong from the get-go or tweak their performance on the run.
Our software products are built with Scala, using the functional programming aspect of the language, deployed as microservices, on AWS and with the “help” of Kubernetes. We handle, for example, thousands of new articles and millions of price updates per day.
Please read more about our business unit by visiting our Intro Page - here.
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Create highly scalable solutions and own the entire development cycle - from architecture design to implementation, testing and maintenance.
- Own your code and decide on the technologies and tools to deliver as well as operate large-scale applications, based on a microservices architecture.
- Take an active role in understanding business requirements and translating them into technological solutions.
- Play a leading part in evolving and scaling our systems as per our business demands.
- Own service operational duties, including monitoring and keeping them up running and healthy
- “Solve something that matters” - solve business problems in the best possible way, while being a highly dynamic team which embraces change.
- Contribute to the tech community within the department as well as on company level; take an active role in onboarding new team members and mentoring junior colleagues.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A solid grasp of computer science fundamentals combined with a strong capacity of solving complex problems with roughly 5 years of hands-on software development in a commercial setting.
- Experience with designing and building microservices in one of our preferred technologies, like Scala (we use cats-effect) or any other functional programming language.
- Cloud architecture experience (preferably but not limited to AWS and Kubernetes).
- "You build it, you run it" approach: experience managing services end-to-end, from developing to deploying to monitoring and incident support.
- Knowledge in architecture/design methods and patterns, data and API specifications, quality assurance and testing methods.
- Great communication skills in English.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, and business need.
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form - we do not accept applications via e-mail.
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, 70+ internal and fun guilds, knowledge sharing through talks, internal tech academy and blogs, product demos, parties and events
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, training platform and training budget, free language courses (English / German), pension scheme, 40% Zalando shopping discount on most products from our catalogue, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, additional holidays and volunteering time off, diverse online accessible sports and health offerings (such as an extensive Employee Assistance Program for you and your family members)
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and access to an international team of experts and a very diverse group of colleagues. We are proud of our diversity and it shows in our recently published report.
- Sponsorship for VISAs, Relocation assistance for internationals, PME family service and parent & child rooms* (*available only in selected locations)