Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant trees worldwide!
We are looking for an experienced software developer, with a main focus on backend to join us in Berlin! This is your opportunity to become part of a supportive, cross-functional team and shape a product used by millions of users.
What you’ll do
What you'll bring
- Write code that touches all parts of the stack with a focus on the backend
- Own and develop our Go and Python codebases, as well as help with the migration of our backend code. You will be working with integrating new APIs, A/B testing and also building microservices that will enhance our search results
- Embrace a service-oriented mindset and support and guide architectural decisions
- Be willing and open to facilitate meetings and take a lead on projects
- Join a supportive, cross-functional team and mentor more junior developers
- Help us improve our existing products and drive the inception and implementation of new ones – all to make our users happy (and to plant trees!)
- Collaborate closely with our product and engineering managers and other engineers across all teams
- You have 5+ years experience with backend infrastructure and you know how to build and deploy your services to a production environment
- You have a deep interest in building clean, maintainable and scalable code, and are able to explain it to others and you have experience supporting architectural decisions
- You have production experience or equivalent knowledge of Go and are comfortable with containerized environments (e.g. Docker)
- You own the projects you create from beginning to production and you believe that it also means caring about testing it and monitoring it long-term
- You share our core values and ways of working
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
- You are located in or willing to relocate to Berlin, Germany
These skills are nice to have, but not having them won’t impact our consideration of your application: we encourage and support the development and will give you the opportunity to grow there.
- Good knowledge of Python
- Experience with grpc and protobuf
- Experience with some of the tools we use (currently using Docker, Kubernetes, Github, CircleCI for more, check out our Tech Radar)
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
- A dedicated onboarding buddy will introduce you to our product and support you while you learn about your new role
- In your first month you will get to know your team and its processes, and get specific onboarding on our different products and departments; this will be the time to be introduced to our tooling, explore the code and pair with your onboarding buddy.
- By your second month, you will have made your first solo contribution(s).
- By the end of your probation period, you will support your teammates and be comfortable with our stack, and be able to review code for all your guild colleagues. You will participate actively in our product planning.
- From there, our growth framework and your engineering manager will support your career development and work with you to achieve your goals.
1. Quick first call with our recruiter
2. Short assignment you can do in your own time
3. Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues
4. Pair programming session
5. Final, non-technical interview
During Covid -19 all steps are done remotely.
What we offer
Work for a purpose!
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Grow your expertise!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out our info page
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for with these 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Get compensated well and fairly!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours (part -time:32 hours, also possible) and location.
*If during covid-19 you work remotely, you need to be available during our core working hours (at least 10-16 Berlin time/CET)
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.