Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Data Analyst to join us in Berlin and help bring our data team to the next level! You should be passionate about data and promote a culture of data driven mentality. You will support the product teams to shape the future of Ecosia’s products and train cross-functional teams on how to use data to make decisions. This is a fantastic opportunity to work behind the scenes and boost the quality of our products which is used by millions of users.
What you’ll do
What you`ll bring
- After a thorough onboarding and an introduction to our products and teams, you will join our BI and data team to:
- Empower our communications & product teams by translating raw data into meaningful insights
- Consult, train and coach different teams on best practices and strategy to adopt a data oriented mindset
- Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for data analysis
- Implement modelling for self-service dashboards, reports and ad-hoc analysis
- Deep dive into data rabbit holes for longer-term reports to present to the whole team, finding insights and sparking new ways to look at the datasets
- Find solutions to generate insights while respecting our privacy-friendly philosophy that goes beyond just being GDPR compliant (see: https://info.ecosia.org/privacy )
- Ultimately, use data to drive growth, to provide value to the user and to reforest our planet
- You have 3+ years of experience with managing data and you have knowledge about extracting information from different data sources into a data warehouse or a data lake.
- You are capable of visualising data and generating insights, understanding and writing complex SQL queries.
- You have experience with consumer internet products in a B2C company, have good business understanding and have used data to support and influence strategic decisions.
- You are a good communicator, you can interact with different stakeholders and are able to translate complex problems into understandable terms.
- You are curious and quickly learn new domains and can bring a new perspective to our team.
- You share our core values and ways of working (see: https://ecosia.co/core-values ).
- You are fluent in English (German not required).
- Located in or willingness to relocate to Berlin, Germany.
These skills are nice to have, but not having them won’t impact our consideration of your application:
- You have experience with A/B testing or user tracking.
- You have experience with part of our data tech stack:
- Visualization and analysis: Looker, Jupyter notebooks
- Data Storage and ETL: AWS Redshift, Athena, Airflow or Luigi (Python)
- You have experience with some of the development tools we use such Github, CircleCI, etc. Check out our Techradar for more info (see: https://ecosia.co/techradar )
- We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
- Our hiring process consists of several steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- Short assignment you can do in your own time
- Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues
- Pair programming session
- Final, non-technical interview
During Covid -19 all steps are done remotely.
What we offer
Work for a purpose!
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Grow your expertise!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it's like to work for Ecosia? Check out our info page
- Learn more about Ecosia and what we stand for with these 10 questions for Ecosia’s Founder and CEO
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Get compensated well and fairly!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours (part -time:32 hours, also possible) and location. *If during covid-19 you work remotely, you need to be available during our core working hours (at least 10-16 Berlin time/CET)
- Two ‘no-meeting’ days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your monthly green-electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.