PaintCare seeks a qualified candidate to assist with growing and maintaining the paint stewardship program in Colorado. This position will be located in Colorado and will assist PaintCare’s Colorado Program Manager coordinate program implementation.
PaintCare, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was established in 2009 by the American Coatings Association (ACA) to implement state-mandated paint stewardship programs on behalf of paint manufacturers in each state that adopts a paint stewardship law. PaintCare programs are funded by a fee on new paint sales. Funding is used to set up drop-off sites where the public can take leftover paint for recycling, pay for the recycling of this paint, conduct public education, and provide program administration. PaintCare currently runs programs in nine states and the District of Columbia and is planning new programs for Washington and New York. Please visit www.paintcare.org
for more information.
- Meet and communicate with paint retail stores, municipal household hazardous waste (HHW) programs and other program stakeholders.
- Identify potential paint drop-off sites which will include paint retailers, HHW facilities, solid waste transfer stations and landfills. Explain how to become a PaintCare drop-off site, evaluate their suitability for partnering with PaintCare.
- Set up paint drop-off sites: establish contracts, provide training, coordinate with haulers to arrange transportation of paint from site.
- Monitor drop-off site operations: conduct site visits on a regular schedule or as needed/requested, identify problems and implement corrections. Maintain successful relationships with site operators.
- Arrange special collection/transportation from temporary events and from painting contractors, property managers, and other large producers of leftover paint.
- Public outreach: Distribute public information materials to drop-off sites upon request, including those retailers that are not drop-off sites, assist the communications department with monitoring use and usability of materials by sites. Be a highly visible resource for connecting the public with opportunities for reuse and recycling.
- Marketing: Provide local knowledge and insight to marketing/outreach to improve communication initiatives.
- Recordkeeping: Maintain computer database of drop-off site information.
- Analyze data and generate reports as needed.
- Make presentations to small and large groups (e.g., home shows, conferences, trade associations).
- Assist with answering phone calls on the national PaintCare hotline as needed.
- Report to Colorado Program Manager.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with and knowledge of hazardous materials or hazardous waste management, public sector waste and recycling initiatives and/or retail operations in the home improvement sector.
- Some familiarity with paint products and users of paint, particularly trade painters, contractors, paint retailers and property managers.
- Experience with public speaking, training and/or making presentations.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of product stewardship programs, laws and organizations.
- Proficiency in full Microsoft Office suite and FileMaker or similar database applications.
- Ability to work independently from home.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the state to recruit sites, train site staff, and distribute outreach materials. Occasional travel to Washington D.C. and other locations in the US for trainings, conferences, or meetings.
- Valid state driver’s license required.
Location and Travel
This position is located in Colorado. The employee will work from home. The ideal candidate will be located near Denver, Colorado Springs, or Grand Junction, though other locations will be considered. Extensive travel throughout the state, up to 50% of time, will be required to visit drop-off sites, coordinate paint collection events, and meet with local stakeholders. Travel will not decrease over time. Overnight stays will up to two weeks per month. Out of state travel for staff meetings and trainings will also take place, 2-3 per year for 3-4 days.
Employment, Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, regular position. Salary depends on experience; PaintCare, through the ACA, provides generous benefits [401(k), vacation days, medical, dental, and life insurance] and reimbursement for travel expenses.
Diversity & Inclusion
PaintCare is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter stating your motivations for applying and salary requirements, a sample that best exemplifies your writing ability (500 words, minimum), and a current resume. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.