This recruitment will be used to fill one full-time Analyst Programmer, competency level 3, position for Ecampus at Oregon State University (OSU).
Oregon State Ecampus is a growing, innovative and collaborative organization with a commitment to providing high-quality online degrees and programs. Ecampus makes OSU’s exceptional learning experiences available to students throughout Oregon and around the world.
The senior web developer (analyst programmer, competency level 3) provides programming support to identify the scope of projects and plan resources required to produce web and custom projects assigned to the Ecampus multimedia team. The multimedia team is part of the Course Development and Training (CDT) unit within the division of Ecampus. The division is a fast-growing, entrepreneurial organization with a commitment to providing access to Oregon State University’s programs of excellence. Ecampus includes Oregon State Ecampus (online degrees), Open Oregon State (open access online resources), and Extended Campus Research unit (conducts original research).
The CDT unit provides expertise and support for the development of online and hybrid courses, including instructional design services, innovative multimedia development, and faculty development programming and support. This position reports directly to the assistant director of CDT.
Within the CDT team, the senior web developer will collaborate closely with instructional designers and faculty course developers to ensure that proposed projects are well-defined, the scope is clear, and all faculty-generated materials are available prior to scheduling and assigning the project to a web developer. This position works closely with faculty and administrators to assess how multimedia technologies can augment students’ abilities to meet course learning outcomes.
Oregon State University and OSU Ecampus maintain and enhance a collaborative and inclusive community that is dedicated to equity and equal opportunity. All employees of this division are responsible for ensuring that these commitments are achieved. The senior web developer will work to ensure the multimedia infrastructure is secure and operational.
75% – Senior Web application production
- Implements projects in various scripting languages and client/server technologies.
- Responds to cross-platform/browser compatibility issues. Develops applications with adaptive/responsive design, paying attention to mobile accessibility, end-user accessibility, and web standards.
- Reviews new custom and web multimedia proposals and consults with stakeholders to identify scope, expected deliverables, and required resources. This can include, but is not limited to, faculty generated data or inputs, specific multimedia developer expertise needed, and time required to complete the project.
- Reviews production of web applications for online classes and modules with content experts and Course Development and Training team members involved with assigned projects.
- Gives direction to team members regarding coordination of work and prioritization of projects. Anticipates issues that may arise. Recommends reallocation of resources, as needed, to ensure that deadlines can be met.
- Responsible for maintaining documentation, training, and following procedures for development, code reviews, and deployments.
- Works with other programmers and student workers on the multimedia custom team using agile methodology in sprints.
- Manages the coordination of complex projects that may involve work from several different unit specialties.
Analyzes web team project performance and makes suggestions to improve processes.
- Responsible for systems architecture and integrations between systems used by the multimedia team.
- Does technical review of code written by other developers.
- Provides guidance to student workers, as needed, to support project development.
- Assists with troubleshooting problems for end-users.
- Develops web applications with stakeholders with elegant solutions to complex web applications.
10% – Research and development
- Researches, recommends, and/or develops new methods and technology which will improve the development environment and quality of commissioned projects.
- Explores trends and changing standards in multimedia development relevant for distance education and adult learners.
10% – Professional development and service
- Serves as a member of OSU Ecampus teams as assigned. Provides service to OSU by working on departmental, division, university, regional and national committees and projects, serving as a representative of OSU Ecampus and the CDT team.
- Attends meetings, participates in team decision making, implements solutions to team challenges as a member of the CDT multimedia team. Service may include other duties as assigned to support and provide back-up for the CDT team.
- Attends professional workshops and meetings, sharing knowledge and networking with other professionals. Represents OSU Ecampus at forums, workshops, trade shows, customer meetings, and other opportunities allowing interaction with constituents and clients. Participates in and provides technical cross-training.
5% – Security
- Ensures that all projects that are undertaken meet security and data integrity as established by OSU Ecampus and OSU IT. Implements processes to ensure projects meet these standards.
- Advises unit leadership regarding security for any multimedia team digital assets or projects that are undertaken. Is aware of and provides a preliminary review of any system or software being used on a project that handles user data.
- Maintains appropriate documentation related to data security regarding the projects completed.
- This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in systems analysis and related programming support functions generally obtained by a bachelor’s degree in computer science, or an equivalent amount of training and applied experience.
- Demonstrated skill with modern frameworks, such as React, Vue, or Angular
- Experience with source control / version control systems (such as Git or SVN)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing in a collaborative team environment in a professional setting
- Experience as a project manager or project lead
- Proven track record of on-time project completion
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity
- This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per OSU Standard 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in youth programs may have additional criminal history checks every 24 months.
- Experience with Serverless/AWS (Amazon Web Services) and integrating with APIs (REST)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Experience with web/graphic design workflow
- Experience with mobile development or responsive web design principles
- Experience with universal design
- Familiarity with project management methodologies such as experience with Agile (scrum, kanban)
- Experience working with a diverse group of people/teams.
OSU is committed to a culture of civility, respect, and inclusivity. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, OSU values diversity in our faculty and staff regardless of their self-identity; to that end, we particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, veterans, women, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.