About the Role:
At Plotly, our customers depend on us for their mission-critical data analysis needs. In this DevOps Engineer role, you'll work with code, colleagues, and customers to build Plotly's core products and improve their robustness and scalability.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Architect and develop the core functionality of Plotly's enterprise products, with a particular focus on Dash application management capabilities (similar to Heroku)
- Lead efforts to improve reliability, testing, automation, observability, and performance throughout our stack
- Tackle big problems as we work to scale Dash Enterprise to more demanding customer requirements in diverse cloud and physical environments
- Identify and advocate for product, documentation, and engineering quality improvements
Technical skills (these periods may overlap):
- 6 years or more of experience writing code as part of your job (in any language)
- 5 years or more of Linux systems administration and generalist networking experience
- 3 years or more of experience with Python and Git
- 1 year or more of experience with backend web application development
- Proficient with Docker
- Some past experience with one or more of reliability, testing, automation, observability, and performance work
- Preferred: Some familiarity with any of LDAP, SAML, Windows enterprise systems administration, Flask, Django, public cloud environments, and/or Kubernetes
- Preferred: prior technical leadership experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to follow and produce documentation instructions
- Ability to debug, troubleshoot, and seek answers autonomously before asking colleagues for help
- Can drive the full architecture and development cycle of large feature improvements or refactorings
- Able to mentor and supervise junior and intermediate colleagues
- Collaborative within the team and across the whole company
- Prior experience with Plotly graphing library or Dash app technologies, in either open source or enterprise forms
- Interest in data visualization or data science generally
- Is willing to work in our Montréal headquarters, or elsewhere in Canada
What We Can Offer You:
- A way to put your skills to use enabling people around the world to better understand their data and make better decisions
- Membership in an exciting and vigorous open-source ecosystem: most or all of what you will work on will be publicly available forever
- Knowledge-sharing with smart, motivated colleagues and folks working at the most sophisticated companies in the world
- Flexible work hours and generous paid time off
- A promote-from-within philosophy
- Health benefits
- Company stock options
Plotly is a high-growth company that is transforming how people visualize data by helping Fortune 500 companies close the gap between Data Science and the rest of the organization. We started building our precedent-setting open-source software back in 2013, and since then we’ve received over $30M in funding, including from grants such as ScaleAI and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, to support our efforts. Plotly is primed to continue its path toward becoming the most downloaded, trusted framework for building AI, ML & data science web apps for the world’s leading companies.
At Plotly, you'll work alongside a diverse team of 50 first-class scientists, engineers, developers and builders that challenge the status quo and set the bar high. We encourage each member of our team to explore and expand their skill sets on a continuous basis, to approach every problem with curiosity and an open-mind. Together, we make it possible for people everywhere to share data, facts and information. We believe that knowledge is built through sharing and accessibility, through dialog and debate on a level playing field. Come help us democratize the data so that we can deliver knowledge.
Plotly is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance.
We’re looking forward to getting to know you!