COVID Update - We are actively hiring for this position and have been operating as a fully distributed organization across the United States since FireHydrant started. We anticipate a future where we will be able to periodically gather as a company again, but we put the health and wellbeing of our employees (and their families) first.
FireHydrant helps companies recover from IT disasters more quickly. The FireHydrant platform includes Incident Response, Status Pages, Retrospectives, and Deploy Events so you can take control of your complex system, reduce downtime, and work better together. We’re a Series A company with around 20 employees who sit across the United States and we’re growing.
About The Role
FireHydrant is seeking a UI Designer to create simple, elegant, and intuitive interactive interfaces for our function-heavy products. This role is focused on visual interactive interface design: how users interact with devices, how users process information, and ultimately how FireHydrant’s products “look” and “feel”. Core to this role is the creation of the final “pixel-perfect” UI that FireHydrant customers experience, and in creating UI in a visually systematic way that ensures a holistic, consistent experience across our products.
Outside exceptional UI and interaction design talent, success in this role is dependent on being highly self-motivated and managed, super organized, always open to feedback and critique, and extremely collaborative. The UI Designer works directly with the Head of Product (Dylan), UX Designer (Jen), and engineers on the core FireHydrant product team.
What You’ll Do
- Create and maintain design systems and component libraries in conjunction with the wider Product Design team to ensure product-wide visual consistency.
- Provide interactive prototypes/deliverables to describe interactions and motion to enhance UI.
- Iterate based on design critique from peers or from learnings found in user testing.
- Build out multi-version comps for user testing.
- Execute final, “pixel perfect” UI designs and package, spec, and prep for engineering.
- Continuously audit developed software for visual perfection (always be QA’ing!), and provide detailed feedback to engineering towards revisions.
What You’ll Bring
- Passion for design work and technology, you love what you do.
- Top tier user interface and interaction design skills.
- Deeply collaborative and iterative approach to product design, focused on ensuring a unified experience across the board.
- Fierce attention to detail, understanding of accessibility guidelines and focus on ‘look’ and ‘feel’ for a variety of screen sizes.
- Understanding of prototyping UI interactivity and incorporating motion/animation into UI.
- Experience working closely with engineers to develop and iterate on interactive software experiences.
- Previous software UI/interaction design experiences at business-focused tech companies.
- Exceptional design velocity: ability and willingness to quickly produce multiple concepts.
- A strong understanding of the tools and technologies involved in designing and building interactive software experiences including Sketch and InVision.
- A keen knowledge of design and interaction patterns and trends within each.
We’d Like to See You Accomplish
- Improve and mature the apps experience by creating a modern look and feel.
- Standardize and create cohesion across UI components.
- Unify the product, brand and marketing design.
- Increase design and engineering efficiencies from building out a company wide design system.
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first with engineers around the US, our headquarters is in NYC (Union Square)
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, GitHub pull requests, Notion, and Clubhouse
- We believe in a healthy work-life balance; we’re early stage but work reasonable hours and want you to use your vacation time
- 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per-year
- Wellness program: reimbursements for your gym membership, athletic equipment, nutrition plans, etc
- Education budget: conferences, books, online courses, etc
- A stipend to outfit your home office beyond the laptop/monitor
- 401k match