Hubba is an online marketplace for independent retailers to buy directly from craft food and beverage brands. We're transforming the retail industry and every person on our team plays a material part in their success. At Hubba, everyone is supported by amazing coworkers who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and are passionate about changing retail for the better. As a small company, we value input across the business and look for flexibility and eagerness to learn and grow. We're looking to hire team members who are self-motivated, eager to explore solutions to tricky problems, and care about those around them.
Here’s what the role’s about.
The team is currently located in Toronto, but we're adding full time remote team members in North America. We don't have strict working hours but will expect you to generally be available during the Eastern Time work day.
We expect you to:
- Write code like everyone’s watching. Your commits should be exemplars for how the rest of the team should approach problems—clear, well-tested, performant, and easy to review.
- Tackle hard problems and deliver complete solutions that track to your estimates.
- Mentor extensively on both the technical and process aspects of our development work. Your ability to break down work and spot issues early should be legendary, and your collaboration should make the entire organization faster, better, stronger.
- Take initiative working with other teams and functions to drive important changes through for our users and our colleagues, and spot places where we can work smarter without having to be asked.
- Prioritize well and help others on the team sort through what work is the most important, and help them stay focused.
- Help recruit new members to the team by maintaining your professional network and participating in our direct recruiting efforts.
Reports to the Engineering Manager. Individual contributor role (no direct reports) with future management potential.
Here’s what you need to be successful.
- You are a seasoned developer with 6+ years of experience working in object-oriented languages.
- You are adept at distributed systems architecture and design and/or complex application development in modern frontend frameworks. Whether you focus on the frontend, the backend, or the full stack, you're an expert who's always developing your craft.
- You’re well versed in agile engineering practices (testing, continuous delivery, etc.)
- You are a pragmatic problem solver who cares about doing things the right way.
- You value ownership and run to trouble. When you see problems, you make sure they’re dealt with, rather than sweeping them under the rug.
- You’re about understanding and solving real business problems (and not just writing code for the sake of writing code).
Bonus points for:
- A strong understanding of relational and non-relational databases and interacting with them through abstractions or raw queries.
- Having worked at a small company, or, better yet, having grown with a company that’s scaled from small to large and understanding the engineering requirements of an organization at each growth stage.
- Experience in the ecommerce sector or in two-sided markets.
Here's what we offer.
We’re doing something big. The platform and company we’re building is transforming retail as we know it, and you’re getting in early enough to play a material part in our success. The work you do will have a direct impact on our trajectory and performance as a company. Hubba will invest in you, help you be better and help you go further.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We seek to counteract, and not just avoid, all forms of discrimination and bias.
Accommodations for people with disabilities are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.