Desmos is on a mission to improve the quality of math education in every classroom. We do this by letting teachers and students access rich, interactive, and pedagogically sound math experiences right in their browser. Building high-quality math tools and content used by millions of people around the world is no easy task, and it requires close collaboration between teachers, designers, and engineers as well as constant testing in real classrooms.
We are seeking a visual designer / illustrator with a broad set of design skills to help create an intuitive and delightful new user experience through support, onboarding, and marketing materials.
Please include a link to your design portfolio with your application.
What you should show up ready to teach anyone on your first day:
- How to make beautiful graphics for the web using modern design tools (we use a mix of Figma, Sketch, InDesign, and Illustrator).
- The benefits of clean, consistent, intuitive design and how to identify strong examples (and counterexamples).
- How visual design can help new users learn about a product.
What you’ll learn more about after you’re hired:
- Our commitment to accessibility, including the motivation for and requirements of various accessibility standards, and how to design from the ground up for users with disabilities (especially visual impairments).
- Our company’s pedagogical commitments and the unique challenges of designing technology for classrooms.
- The technologies that allow us to build performant, powerful, reliable browser-based experiences.
Within your first week, you’ll:
- Introduce yourself on Slack to your new co-workers!
- Collaborate with a colleague from another team to create resources for teachers who are new to Desmos or graphics for social media posts. You'll share these with other designers on our team for feedback.
Within your first month, you’ll:
- Use our current design language to create illustrations and mockups for projects like emails to teachers and product information pages.
- Collaborate with the curriculum team to create marketing materials as we prepare to launch our middle school digital math curriculum.
- Work with the support team to create resources for teachers who are new to our products and help turn those into support pages in Squarespace (bonus if you’re excited about making videos!)
Within your first three months, you’ll:
- Collaborate with the partnerships and curriculum teams to create sales and support materials, including web pages and PDFs, for our middle school math curriculum.
- Upgrade the visual design of existing support materials, social media posts, and presentations with an eye towards delight and consistency.
- Create design resources and templates in Figma so other internal teams can find assets and guidelines when needed.
- Go through our products through the lens of a new user and provide mockups, assets, and recommendations for improvements.
Within your first year, you’ll:
- Attend a math education conference (or chat with teachers in another way if in-person conferences still aren’t a thing!) to get to know our users and better understand the role that Desmos plays in their classrooms.
- Refine our new user experience so teachers coming to our site for the first time have a great experience.
- Own and collaborate with the design team to define our visual communication design style.
- Take a vacation to recharge. We do our best work when we’re happy and well-rested.
Learn more about our company and then apply! Include your resume, portfolio, and a cover letter that helps us understand your preparation for the work we’ve described above.