Shorthand is a growing company that provides a digital publishing platform to many of the world’s best-known publishers, brands, not-for-profits, and universities. With customers on every continent (except Antarctica!), there’s never been a more exciting time to join Shorthand. Our company has a rare distinction in this era of money-burning startups of being comfortably profitable. We're a small team of geeks with art and heart, and a high bar for quality.
To deliver our magic to customers and their audiences, we build software that is scalable, flexible, reliable and as simple as possible but no simpler.
We tend to do things a little differently at Shorthand. For one thing, we’re a small, fully remote team distributed around the world. For this role, we’ll happily take applications from anywhere in North or South America, but applicants must be fluent in English.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is whip-smart, as demonstrated by career achievements and/or school/university results
- Has great communication skills, particularly with respect to writing and interacting directly with technical and non-technical customers (sometimes across US and European timezones).
- Has good knowledge of cloud-based web architectures, web crawlers, SEO, and frontend web performance optimisation.
- Experienced in system design and system integration.
- Is an expert in using git.
- Has worked with CI/CD processes before (CircleCI/GitHub Actions preferably).
- Is experienced using test automation tools (Cypress, Jest, React Testing Library, Percy preferably).
- Is experienced with Drupal module and WordPress plugins development, especially in integration with third-party APIs.
- Has an extremely high bar for quality.
- Is thorough and detail-oriented.
- Can learn fast.
- Gains deep satisfaction from helping to make products better.
- Has experience of working in a small business or startup environment.
- Preferably has experience collaborating with diverse, geographically-dispersed teams.
- Work directly with customers through the whole lifecycle of delivery.
- Mature Shorthand automated testing capabilities to help improve product quality and team safety.
- Provide high tier support especially for custom systems integrations.
- Learn, evolve and improve an existing application/system architecture.
- Review code from other engineers and provide feedback.
- Help secure the environment.
- Contribute to the technical direction of the Shorthand tool.
- Report bugs.
- Communicate with the customer support team and customers to suggest solutions to issues.
- Assist in the creation of product documentation when required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Software Engineering roles.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in web application development.
- Thorough knowledge of NodeJS and the web.
- Experience with AWS.
- University qualification in computer science or a closely related field, or equivalent career experience required.
- You are a proactive self-starter, who does not need to be told what to do and will be resourceful in order to find solutions to any challenge.
- You thrive in a fast-paced and demanding environment and possess a high level of intellectual curiosity.
- You are collaborative.
- You find fulfilment in the job itself, and happiness in a job well done.