About the role:
We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a consistent record in building data pipelines and data products at scale. You will partner closely with our data scientists, other engineers and product managers to create the technology that generates and transforms data into applications, insights and experiences for our users.
You will mentor more junior developers by guiding them through architecture and procedures and helping them develop their engineering skills. You will help to continuously improve the development work in all areas from coding to testing.
Our new colleague has extensive experience in online or a related area, with 6+ years of full-time employment. We expect the right person to be a guide in software engineering and have good knowledge of what it means to deal with large and/or distributed systems. We also believe that a well-rounded engineer has experience with more than just one programming language.
What you will do:
- Work closely together with global tech, product and data science on new projects and enhancements
- Translate machine learning models and algorithms into cleanly coded and scalable data products
- Build and maintain highly scalable pipelines and clean datasets around key business metrics
- Enhance our data architecture to balance scale and performance
Here are some examples of our work:
- Machine Learning - build and enhance ML pipelines in the context of user profiling and segmentation, recommendations and search relevancy
- Experimentation - build and retain our central A/B experimentation and decision platform
- Analytic Data Products - construct statistics engines using Clickhouse to power insights dashboards
- Data Pipelines - create real-time or batch pipelines or rewrite existing pipelines using Flink and/or Spark (Scala)
What you can expect from us:
- A informal, international and energetic work environment with self-organized, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Managers and teammates who are invested in your growth as a technologist and as a person
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups across the eCG in trending topics such as Machine Learning, Infrastructure, Mobile Development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
What we offer:
Dynamic, international teams with diverse personalities, a real passion for e-commerce, professionalism and a good sense of humor.
Silicon Valley amenities, such as astonishing high spec MacBook Pros and extraordinary office facilities close to Amstel station.
From the moment you join us we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then apply and send us your CV.
Skills & requirements
Who are you:
- You are crafting code that is understandable, simple, and clean, and take pride in its refinement
- You have an analytical demeanor to understand business needs, and come up with engineering solutions
- You've developed an expertise in building pipelines on large sophisticated datasets using Flink, Spark or other open source frameworks
- You have expertise in Java and/or Scala programming languages
- You have knowledge and familiarity with distributed data stores (Casandra, Clickhouse, Elasticsearch) and pub-sub messaging systems (Kafka)
- You have experience or want to work with Linux, Docker, private/public cloud
- You love freedom and don’t like being micromanaged. Given context, you're capable of self-direction
- You are a sharp communicator who can explain sophisticated data problems in clear and concise language
- You are motivated to explore new technologies and learn and can do so without taking formal education
- You are eager to share your own ideas, and willingness to those of others
- You have a BS/MS degree in Computer Science or a technical field