Output has made a name for itself as one of the fastest growing, creative, and influential music-making software companies in the world. In an industry full of retro nostalgia and cloning real life products, Output stands out as a groundbreaker by building new things that have never existed before but should. The likes of Kendrick Lamar, Bjork, Rihanna, James Blake, Imagine Dragons, Zedd, Justin Timberlake, Nine Inch Nails, Drake and many more use our software to write music as well as hit shows and films like Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, and Black Panther.
We are currently working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to our office in Los Angeles. Once we are able to return it will be on a voluntary basis. We have successfully launched new products, achieved record sales, and continue to thrive as a team working home. This has opened us up to hiring permanent remote positions around the country. Our culture has always valued our employee’s work-life balance and we offer 5 weeks of PTO, excellent health care, and a community of music enthusiasts- with access to our music studios (once it is safe to return).
- This Sr. Product Designer role will be responsible for work on new music technology products and features. Working with the project lead, you will be responsible for:
- Creating demos of product/feature concepts
- Developing high quality and thoughtful visual designs
- Iterating on provided concepts, and developing your own ideas for features
- Success in this role will be you developing and refining a product idea, creating a high quality demo, presenting it to the CEO and founders, then working with developers to implement the final design that ships to hundreds of thousands of users.
- You must have experience creating demos of new product ideas and features. The tools you use are not important, but demos must be interactive enough to create a convincing demonstration of a product or feature.
- For the interview, please be prepared to walk us through a demo that you created; ideally we can try the demo ourselves, but this may not be possible in all cases. Be prepared to talk about the purpose of the demo, and any shortcuts that were taken in its creation.
Visual thinking and production skills
- You should be able to demonstrate how your choice of visual design influences, and is influenced by, the purpose of a product. This should scale from the shape and appearance of UI components, to the overall layout of a product.
- You should be able to realize visual designs to a production standard of UI design, ready to hand off to developers for implementation.
- Please prepare examples of your work and be prepared to talk about the importance of their visual design to the functionality, and demonstrate a high standard aesthetic design (these can be separate examples).
Knowledge of music and music technology
- You should have a good knowledge of music technology and terminology. The style / genre / instruments / DAWs / specific tools are not important, but having good knowledge of your musical territory is. You may be a DJ with little music theory knowledge, but know your way around Serato and PA systems, you might be a guitarist who only uses analog equipment, or you may be a modular synth-er with a bucket of patch cables.
- Please be prepared to tell us your music / technology story.