Marktplaats is part of the Ebay Classifieds Group(eCG), and from our Amsterdam office we serve Marktplaats.nl, 2dehands.be/2ememain.be and Gumtree.
We are an international team (26 countries!) of passionate people who share a common interest in solving problems using software and data. We invite you to join us! This is a big responsibility; you will work on high-availability servers, improve customer experience through innovation, impact revenues and advance our team and technologies. In turn, we will work with you to grow your career.
Your growth will involve our highly-performant and high-traffic systems. During peak hours, our site's per-second throughput is OVER 1000 searches (which makes us the second most-used search engine in NL), 25K images and 4GB of data; Marktplaats handles over 1 million unique visitors, 350K new advertisements and 155K transactions daily. On an average month, we get 140 million visits, which translates into 2.5 billion page views.
What you can expect from us?
- An informal, international and playful work environment with self-organised, multi-disciplinary agile/lean teams
- Work with cool modern technologies such as Scala, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Elasticsearch, Apache Kafka, Consul, Node.js, React, Swift and Play
- Access to tools and resources to do your job (best-in-class laptop, IDEs, Safari Online subscription, conferences and meetups, all the coffee and soda you can drink, and much more)
- Ability to join and participate in multiple internal interest groups in Marktplaats and across eCG in trending topics like DevOps, BigData, mobile development, and others
- Continuous Deployment through multiple environments to get rapid feedback about your work
What we expect from you?
We are looking for is a junior or experienced DevOps engineer with a passion for open source products and systems automation.
You have expertise in several key technologies:
- Hashicorp stack: Terraform/Nomad/Consul
- Scala or Go knowledge is a pre.
Additionally, the experience of some of the following technologies is desirable.
- Elastic Search
- Dive deep into system and application performance and reliability issues; partner with software and systems engineers across the organization to produce and roll out fixes and improvements.
- Tackle issues across the entire stack and problems relating to mission critical services and build automation and monitoring to help prevent problem recurrence.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Engineering degree or equivalent work experience
- Hands-on experience with infrastructure automation tools and orchestrators (the whole Hashicorp stack, SaltStack, etc.)
- Expertise with monitoring frameworks (Grafana, Kibana, Prometheus)
- You feel ownership over everything you ship. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring and strong documentation.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- Experience troubleshooting Java-based server applications.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Expertise with Cassandra Kafka and ElasticSearch
- Deep network analysis experience a plus.
- Strong Linux system-level analysis capabilities.