Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic junior developer to join our Engineering team who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and is looking for an opportunity to build something that users love. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience working in a fast-paced environment as part of a team and is excited about learning and contributing to Artsy’s codebase.
At Artsy we strive to live up to our engineering principles, and the most important one is Open Source by Default. Artsy uses a lot of open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. And we give back. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
- Contribute to the applications used by the galleries, collectors, and auction houses that make up the world’s largest online art marketplace.
- Be an effective individual contributor on one of our product teams by collaborating with others, communicating openly, and completing assigned tasks that are business or learning-driven.
- Get up-to-speed on our systems and business while working on tasks and pairing with other engineers.
- Write well-tested code and deploy it to production.
- Learn about your dependencies by interfacing with the open source community to solve problems when necessary.
- CS degree, bootcamp or approximately 1 year of equivalent professional experience.
- Has a broad understanding of CS fundamentals.
- Is able to work effectively in a team environment and pick up new engineering skills quickly.
- Understands the tradeoffs between "done" and "perfect" (and favors the "done" end of the spectrum).
- Has strong opinions, loosely held. They will change our team, and our team will change them.
- Can work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic engineering org to initiate and promote best-practices across the team.
- Feels resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy has six core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art:
We are obsessed with art because we believe in its power to move us and change the way we experience the world. Together, we are dedicated to expanding art’s impact on humanity.
Own Our Outcomes:
We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness:
We trust in our teammates. We have the courage to be vulnerable, to communicate honestly, and to invite diverse perspectives. A more open art world starts with us.
Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace learning, growth, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection:
Using both Art and Science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Do the Right Thing, Always:
We are building a company and community we can all be proud of. We make decisions with honesty and integrity, even when it’s not convenient. Empathy, respect, and inclusivity are core to our mission.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.