Designlab is looking for two mentor leads to join our team in order to ensure that we achieve and maintain consistently high standards of mentorship for all our design courses. These roles will in essence be responsible for overall mentor relations and quality within our mentor team. Key to success is being an advocate for mentorship and a voice for our mentors during our internal team discussions..
We're a nimble, product-driven team focused on building the best experience in the world for creative skills training, and thousands of students across the globe have already advanced their skills and changed careers with our help.
Our mission is to empower creators to do the work they love, and this extends to our culture and philosophy about work. Thanks to the quality of our product—rated best in class by reviewers at SwitchUp & Course Report—we’ve built a passionate community of students, mentors, alumni, and hiring managers.
As we continue to develop our product offerings, we’re looking to bring on two new team members who can lead our efforts in ensuring that we continue to provide best in class mentorship to all our students. We expect a good candidate to have a strong background in Product Management or UX Design, and a wealth of experience in mentoring or coaching others.
In addition to being an active mentor with a significant student load, these roles touch every facet of mentor quality at Designlab including mentor recruiting & onboarding, coaching, and mentor support & experience. In order to meet your goals, you will need to cover the following responsibilities:
- Lead efforts to recruit and onboard new mentors
- Lead mentor performance management initiatives including the development of a robust mentor feedback process
- Ensure mentor capacity meets the requirements of the cohorts across all Designlab courses
- Drive creation of mentor training materials
- Provide coaching to mentors when necessary
- Build connections with key members of the mentor team through regular interactions
- With People Ops, develop and drive a mentor engagement strategy
- Provide robust feedback on the curriculum and product to the Product Team
- Contribute to reviews of student work, including portfolio and application reviews
- Provide ad hoc support for students where necessary through additional feedback, mentor leave coverage, and in our Slack community
The ideal candidate has:
- >7+ years experience working in UX Design or Product Management
- >5+ years experience managing or mentoring other designers
- Experience with project management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment / previous experience in a startup
- Competitive salary
- Work from home (we’re a fully distributed team with members in NYC, Lisbon, and more)
- Flexible hours (you set your own schedule)
- Generous paid vacation policy
- Occasional in-person team retreats (public health guidelines permitting)
- Work on an awesome product that’s innovating in the online education space and teaching people modern design skills all over the globe
How to apply
Click the button below to apply for this role here
by 18:00 ET on Friday September 4th
We’ll contact you to let you know whether we’re moving forward with your application by the end of Friday September 11th.