The Apple Media Products Engineering team is one of the most exciting examples of Apple’s long-held passion for combining art and technology. These are the people who power Apple TV, Apple Music, App Store, Apple Podcasts, and Apple Books. And they do it on a huge scale, meeting Apple’s high expectations with high performance to deliver everything we need to be entertained in over 35 languages to more than 150 countries. These engineers build secure, end-to-end solutions. They develop the custom software used to process all the digital media, the tools that providers use to deliver content, the server-side systems behind our digital products, and the APIs for many Apple services.
Over 100 Apple Media Products engineers are based at our site in Central London, UK. Here we build and operate many of the large-scale features behind the above services. Our focus is on large-scale distributed systems; low latency and high availability; data privacy; and big data. Our work is split over three core areas: the underlying data platform; personalised customer features at scale; and additional technologies to drive the growth of our services.
We’re seeking an Engineering Manager to join our London group, leading a team of ten engineers powering some of Apple Media Products’ largest-scale personalised customer features.
These features include:
- App Store Ratings & Reviews;
- Store Purchase Cloud History;
- Podcasts Services;
- Data Privacy Services;
- and others.
We’re looking for someone to help the team continue its mission to build very large scale systems, delivering a wide portfolio of systems from a small and tight-knit group of passionate engineers.
Skills & requirements
- Experience leading engineering projects from inception to shipped software;
- Strong technical skills in large-scale Java server based distributed systems;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- A passion for enabling career-development of colleagues and team members;
- Enthusiasm for hands-on involvement in the team’s technical work;
- A deep sense of responsibility and pride in the team’s engineering, and the company’s products and philosophy;
- And an associated drive to socialise and communicate the team’s work in the wider Apple engineering and management community.
Bachelors degree or equivalent meaningful experience
- Experience in any of the following technical areas would be beneficial to the candidate:
- - Experience building and/or using distributed systems, distributed caching, distributed key-value or column stores (eg Cassandra, Voldemort, Redis)
- - A deep understanding of eventual consistency concepts
- - Experience with and understanding of Hadoop-ecosystem technologies such as MapReduce, Spark, YARN/MR2 etc
- - Experience in building and running best-in-class large-scale data pipelines, using Kafka, with data ingest from multiple sources, feeding batch compute components via HDFS and near-realtime components via online key-value storage
- - Experience and interest in data modelling and data architecture as optimised for big data patterns (warehousing concepts; efficient storage and query on HDFS; support for relevant realtime query patterns in key-value stores; columnar schema design; etc)
- - Experience with Scala
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.