Gropen, Inc., a well-established architectural signage and design-build firm in Charlottesville, VA is looking for a mid-level Technical Graphic Designer to join our team.
Our clients, both locally and nationally, include architects, landscape architects, engineers, real estate developers, park administrators, hospitals and universities, for whom we provide smart, innovative and effective design solutions. We are seeking an outstanding Technical Graphic Designer, with some practical work experience working in a similar field for 3-5 years. Working with our Design Director, our ideal candidate will be personable, consistent in their work, resourceful, and be an all-round team player.
We are looking for a passionate professional with experience owning projects from beginning to end and with the ability to interface with clients. This position offers opportunities for involvement in diverse project types and professional advancement in a team-oriented, dynamic culture.
Specific Skills/ Attributes
- Able to produce construction documents to scale
- Strong understanding of construction methods and hardware
- Passion for detailed documentation
- Feeling for the built environment
- Strong Layout skills
- Strong verbal, written and analytical skills
- Proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, (SketchUp and CadTools a plus)
- Acute attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Takes direction well / Handles rejection
Responsibilities/ Project Delivery
- Partner with the Design Director and Project Manager in the overall delivery of the goals of the project.
- Participate in design charrettes and project team meetings.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with consultants, contractors and jurisdictional/approval agencies.
- Participate with the project team to understand/establish project goals and objectives including work plan, schedule, budget parameters.
- Responsible for selection and specification of materials and architectural building systems.
- Render conceptual design intent and prepare 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings.
- Work with Lead on overall project technical development for large scale projects.
- Prepare, correct and update construction documents.
- Prepare and modify architectural documents, elevations, sections, details, etc. using Adobe CC and SketchUp (or equivalent).
- Ability to read architectural floor plans and create location plans for large-scale projects
- Schooling and/or degree in related field preferred
- 3-5 years of experience creating original designs, layout, technical drafting documentation and implementation of various scaled projects
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive rate based on experience/skills
- Full-time position, following 30-day trial period
- Paid holidays and vacation time
- Company health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan (eligibility after 1 year)