Sr Production Artist - Packaging
Our agency client is a fast-paced and dynamic environment, fuelled by design thinking. While packaging design is at the heart of our business – our teams flex their problem solving and design skills across all channels. We are proud to produce creative work that is amongst the top tier in the industry, for some of the largest Consumer Packaged Goods brands in the world. Our focus on globally delivered design adaptation – the art of using design to amplify brands in the most effective and efficient ways possible – has positioned us at the head of a fast-changing industry.
As the Sr. Production Designer, you will work in a structured environment, with defined processes while supporting a dedicated clients business from our near site office. You will need to be comfortable with meeting demanding deadlines and multiple, rapidly changing priorities. You will support and exhibit behaviors consistent with the agency’s values and beliefs in a fiscally responsible manner.
Position reports to the Creative Director.
This position will be part of the production team and will help to execute packaging artworks. You will work closely with the assigned Sr. Designer Team Lead and cross functional teams including Project Managers, Traffic Manager, Copywriter, Regulatory/Compliance, Proofreaders and Sr. Quality Manager in the development of all artwork files through release to vendors. All artwork executions are developed to maintain the integrity of the client approved designs and themes. The Sr. Production Designer must thrive in a professional, fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects. You will adapt digital page layout and brand extensions to approved design files using desktop software applications. In addition to your daily responsibilities, you will have the opportunity to contribute to conceptual design development initiatives, as defined by Sr. Designer Team Lead. Work is typically performed under minimal daily supervision, receiving guidance from Sr. Designer Team Lead and Creative Director about the work that needs to be completed. This role will advocate our culture, brand and community.
The specific details of the role will vary, but common activities include:
• Participates in and supports agency business objectives appropriate to role (quality objectives, company policies).
• Ability to interpret concept and/or effectively adapt brand guidelines through to artwork execution.
• Ability to read, understand and follow work instructions, specifications, workflow diagrams and SOPs.
• Participate in process improvement efforts and various production meetings to foster a positive creative impact on the business.
• Possess ability to learn and develop within a team and through direct mentorship.
• Check customer supplied files when starting a new job, and compare it to the supplied hard copy and/or existing artwork files for any differences and size conformity.
• Ensure that job instructions are aligned to artwork supplied and/or referenced.
• Apply art to printer supplied die drawing
• Verify colors used and check the resolution of any CT’s.
• Manipulate files to match vendor specs.
• Adjust art to meet minimum type and line thickness accordingly based on specifications for different types of printing and client requirements, and approved style guides.
• Assign color builds and Pantone ink swatches to art elements.
• Output proofs as needed for internal checks and as specified on the order for customer review and approval
• Check job to ensure accuracy of copy, content, color designations, and job data / labels if applicable
• Responsible for ensuring that all artwork files are saved in designated file locations on the server with the appropriate document control file naming specifications.
• Files must be organized to follow defined job folder and server structure and properly prepared for archiving upon completion of project.
• Ensuring the accuracy of the final data deliverable such as, but not limited to, PDF, AI, EPS, FTP upload and CD upload.
• Ensuring common elements are treated consistently.
• Responsible for ensuring that all required checklist(s) are completed accordingly and in full, without any errors.
• Flag any errors or deviations from standard work procedures to the Sr. Quality Manager and Sr. Designer Team Lead.
Education & Experience Requirements
• 4+ years of experience in a design production role
• College or University diploma in graphics design
• Ability to prepare files in a preproduction-ready format
• Understanding of the print process
• Knowledgeable in multiple aspects of print production techniques
• Willingness and flexibility to accept direction
• Experience in packaging design creation and production art development
• Ability to work effectively with all levels within the organization
• A strong knowledge of print processes, finishes and separations
• The ability to support a team in their design and final art execution at a level that is among the top tier in the industry
• Solid design skills and conceptual design ability
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality
• Able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks in time critical situations
• Ability to manage up and seek assistance when appropriate
• Highly self-motivated, resourceful and detail-oriented
• Good problem solving and interpreting skills with a keen eye for design
• Comfortable working within a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Strong communication and listening skills
• Willingness to work an extended schedule, as needed, to meet project deadlines
• Experience in beauty, food and health is an asset
• Well organized thought and work processes
• A sense of humor!