HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates interested in this position must provide a resume, portfolio examples, AND a cover letter that details their interest, intent, and applicable experience for this role. Boiler plate introductions are highly discouraged. Failure to submit all required documents will result in dismissal. Application materials should be emailed to [email protected]
, attachments made by PDF (Portfolios can be submitted in PDF or Weblink)
Finalists for this position are subject to a criminal background check.
Burley Design has been building bicycle trailers for over 40 years and is the global leader in the design and distribution of bicycle trailer products for children, pets, and cargo. Burley is in the business to enable adventure in all generations, and we are currently looking for an Industrial Designer to join our team in that effort.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As an Industrial Designer for Burley Design, you will have a key role in utilizing human centered design processes to create appealing, innovative, and technologically advanced products. Expect to work on a variety of projects including bicycle trailers, bags, and accessories. The ideal candidate will merge the ability to listen and observe consumers experiences with their own to create unique and innovative products. They will be driven, passionate, self-motivated, and collaborative at their core. They will have a strong aesthetic sensibility and be able to merge strong visual direction with the functional direction of the product.
• Work seamlessly on cross-functional teams to design and develop innovative and aesthetically engaging products including bicycle trailers, accessories, and components that are consistent with direction of the Burley brand
• Identify, visualize, document, and present compelling:
o User research and insights
o Product concepts and designs
o Physical Prototypes
• Maintain a strong sense of trends and stay abreast of brand competition within cycling, the outdoor industry, urban transportation, and the market as a whole
• Direct involvement with all aspects of the product development process, from concept to production
• Develop design documentation and tech packs for softgoods products
• Work side by side with Engineering to develop and deliver concepts through production
Bachelor's degree in Industrial or Product Design is required
• 5+ years of full-time experience in Industrial and/or Product Design roles
• A passion for work that is paralleled by your passion for getting outside and living it
• Exceptional understanding of manufacturing practices welding, casting, machining, and injection molding
• Experience and exceptional understanding of softgoods development and manufacturing processes
• Ability to utilize and direct appropriate visual tools for the application, whether that is 2D, Sketching, interactive media, 3D, or physical prototyping
• Aesthetic Sensibility and the ability to define, articulate, and create strong, appropriate product form.
• Exceptional 3D surface modeling skills, preferably in Solidworks.
• Experience and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and digital sketching software
• Ability to communicate and collaborate with international development partners
• Self-motivated and detail orientated person
• Curiosity and Collaboration at your core
• Ability and desire to learn bicycle mechanics and assembly
• Ability to use computer extensively
• Ability to periodically lift up to 50 lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Work areas are inside in a climate-controlled environment with moderate background noise.
• Travel up to 8 weeks per year (domestic and international) for trade shows, company events, customer visits, research, etc.
• The ability to use a keyboard, and to communicate orally and in writing is required.
• The ability to work extended hours as business needs dictate.
• Must be able to transport and set up product.