Fred & Friends is looking to add a clever and highly skilled Industrial Designer with expert 3D modeling skills to its expanding, RI-based creative studio. This is a full-time, in-house position.
Since 2004, Fred has been a leader in the giftware industry, creating products that put a smile on your face. We design and manufacture fun and clever gifts, home goods, and personal items to specialty retailers worldwide. You can see Fred products at the MoMA Store, Sur la Table, as well as Target, Amazon, and shops on your local main street. The company is located one minute north of Providence, in sunny Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Check out what we do at www.genuinefred.com.
Fred’s independent design studio is small in size, but big on ideas. You will have the unique opportunity to work on a wide range of creative projects, with the satisfaction of seeing your ideas go from concept to creation. We do everything in-house, from product and package design to marketing and sales collateral. We encourage everyone in the studio to contribute ideas and collaborate in the product development process.
The ideal candidate will have an exceptionally strong portfolio showcasing excellent sketching ability, 3D modeling proficiency for concept and presentation drawings, as well as a high level of detailed technical drawings for production. We are seeking an individual who is a creative thinker, eager problem solver, and able to manage multiple projects at different phases simultaneously.
Key responsibilities include:
• Using exceptional design skills, generate a range of innovative and inspired design concepts that meet project objectives
• Design and create ready-to-manufacture models using Solidworks and Rhino software
• Work collaboratively with the graphics team to create models and renderings for marketing and packaging materials
• Help develop in-store display solutions for key customers
Assist in the design of trade shows and showroom display spaces with models and renderings
• Manage and maintain our studio 3D printer
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial/Product Design
• 4 to 6 years work experience with consumer product design – experience within the gift industry a plus
• High proficiency in 3D modeling using Solidworks or Rhino, along with KeyShot 3D rendering software
• Ability to create figurative models in ZBrush is a plus, though not required
• Can quickly and effectively deliver design data for engineering and manufacturing
• Knowledge and experience with rapid prototyping, manufacturing processes and materials
• Strong sketching, design and visualization skills
• Intuitive eye for design and a genuine love for creative work
• Innovative thinker, with the capacity to generate creative concepts and the discipline to develop them into strategic and market-relevant products
• Strong organizational skills; effectively conveys design ideas to the team and keep projects on track and on time
• Adapts quickly to rapidly changing needs within the studio, and is able to juggle multiple projects at once
• Makes creative decisions in order to maintain high-quality standards
• Stays current on industry trends and best practices, and regularly offers suggestions and recommendations to the creative team
• Understands how the Fred brand fits into the marketplace, and helps keep the designs and brand identity fresh and unique
• Competent in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
• Experience with still digital photography and lighting plus
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Team collaborator, but also excels independently
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented and well-organized
• Sense of humor, always a plus
Applicants must be US residents.
Please save in PDF format, and limit submissions to 10MB in size.
No phone calls please. Call your mother instead...she says she never hears from you any more.