Love design and love gear? We are looking for an exceptional industrial designer that shares our passion for design, gear, and outdoor sports. This is an opportunity to create the equipment that people love. We need a hardgoods designer with a proven track record to execute at every level of the design process – from concept to final design.
The Industrial Designer works in tight coordination with a Design Engineer and Developer on all aspects of design for each product they are assigned to. The Industrial Designer is specifically responsible for the form, color, human interaction, ergonomics, graphics, and all other aesthetic aspects of the products assigned. This ideal candidate will design Black Diamond’s biggest and highest consequence hardgoods products and will often be assigned to work on cloud projects as well as taking a leadership role in all aspects of the design process – research, concepts, modelling, prototyping, design execution.
1. Generate concepts through brainstorming and other creative processes.
2. Create sketches, renderings, surface models, solid models, mock ups, prototypes or other representations of the design as appropriate to each specific project.
3. Generate appropriate color options, product graphics, logos, and other markings.
4. Select appropriate materials and manufacturing processes.
5. Work closely with the Design Engineer and Developer to ensure the selected vendor is building parts and products to the design intent.
6. Follow and adhere to the timeline requirements of the assigned project.
7. Present project status in regular design reviews.
8. Process design change orders in a timely and accurate manner.
9. Research new materials and technologies for potential use for Black Diamond products.
10. Travel domestically and internationally to conduct research, work with vendors, attend trade shows and other job-related functions.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design (or other closely related field) or relevant work and design experience.
Required: 4 years post-graduation experience.
Preferred: 6 years post-graduation experience.
Skills and General Experience:
1. Must demonstrate a track record of creative and compelling designs and a portfolio of successful products.
2. Must demonstrate the ability to sketch, create renderings and model products in a way that clearly communicates design intent.
3. Must have 3D modelling and surfacing skills and ability to work with the design team to create high quality CAD data for prototyping and production.
4. Must possess an in-depth working knowledge of the sports of outdoor sports for which we design products. In addition, this position requires the ability to conduct research, present project status, communicate clearly, meet deadlines, use word processing, spreadsheets, email and other basic computer skills.
5. Experience working with suppliers to execute on high quality product is preferred.
Alternative qualification: n/a
Required licenses: Drivers License, Passport
General physical requirements: Sedentary work; occasional medium work.
Visual acuity requirements: Close vision, color vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus.
Motion and sensory requirements: Reaching, typing, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, sitting.
Physical working conditions: Both inside and outside environments.
At BD, benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability, as well as other wellness benefits, 401k, vacation and wellness time off, and company paid holidays. If that isn't enough, we are also a pet-friendly workplace with a casual dress code! If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy employee discounts on BD gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.