Thanks for taking a look at the job description for the Technical Product Manager at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just throwing you right in there with words like “revolutionizing” and “disrupting”.
As such, we want you to know that the person that wrote this job description apologises in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
What is Impala now?
Impala makes building travel software incredibly easy. We provide hotels with a powerful data management platform that makes connecting to software, hardware and room distributors extremely easy. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched in January 2019 and since then have grown at - quite frankly - a ridiculous old clip. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points.
We are a growing team of exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial that have built a fantastic community.
Where is Impala going?
We’re supported by some of the best investors in the business, the early stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago and more. They’re on board because of our vision - revolutionizing a $1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
Within the next two years, 25% of hotel bookings worldwide will flow through Impala technology and the product that we’re building will support the entire ecosystem of travel technology (we already have over a thousand companies signed up).
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team to 50 people within the next year. So now is the most exciting time to be joining Impala as we go through a large push to scale up!
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
- You will own the long term vision of the team’s problem space end-to-end, working collaboratively in a team of software engineers to prioritise the challenges and bring the voice of the customer to the table. To achieve this you’ll talk to customers, participate in overarching product strategy, and be responsible for bringing clarity and focus to your problem space.
- You work with a team of five software engineers to prioritise the challenges they tackle and make sure everyone understands why their current work addresses customer needs and brings you closer to your vision.
- You talk to customers frequently, and make sure to shadow support and pre-sales engineers to make sure you have a solid understanding of their needs to give feedback to your team.
- When faced with questions or ambiguity within your team, you bring clarity and focus to the decision making process. This might be by sourcing data to help or, should that not be possible, doing qualitative customer research.
You should join us if:
- You have mid to senior level experience as Product Manager working for a high growth, rapidly scaling company.
- You are familiar and can comfortably run an agile product development process
- You are used to speaking to customers and users and know how to elicit feedback and make it actionable.
- You are happy with accountability for the end-to-end success of your product.
- You are motivated by making the travel industry a little better!
Nice to haves:
- You have worked on an API.
- You have experience as a software developer.
- You have worked in the travel/hospitality industry.
- You have experience working with a distributed team of engineers.
What you will get in return?
- We’re in the top 14% of companies in the UK for holiday that we offer, at 36 days.
- We also offer Impalans one Unsick day per year.
- Impala believes that great people should be able to focus on developing mastery of their skills, even if they don’t want to manage people. Here you’ll be able to access 3.5x the average annual raise, even staying in the same role.
- We invest in your development and will support you to realise your potential with our generous Professional Development budget.
- We offer all product managers a Weekly Recess Hour. This is an hour to take off and step out from work and invest in You Time! Lawn mow, yoga, walk or movie anyone?
- In addition, we give you a special Personalised Workspace Equipment budget for things like monitors, keyboards, headphones et cetera.
- You’ll travel once a quarter to meet the distributed engineering team in a colocation week, somewhere in Europe.
- We have a Health & Wellbeing scheme in place, offering you the option of a monthly gym membership reimbursement each month, or a health food voucher each month; access to Headspace; Vitality health insurance; plus the chance to win a massage monthly. Plus loads more.
- Perkbox. A platform designed to help you to live a better life by personalising, managing, delivering and measuring the best company perks in real-time.
- You’ll be working somewhere that encourages collaboration, is transparent, has a strong focus on wellbeing, and doesn’t just pay lip service to its Core Values.
If your answer is yes and you are really excited to learn more then please check out our Medium page which includes more information about who we are, what we do, what matters to us, and our culture.
Want to know more about our CEO, or want a deeper understanding of our what and why? Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBZuoxCbKM