Hi, my name is Brad Touesnard
. I’m the founder of Delicious Brains Inc. We make high quality products for WordPress.
The “we” is currently a small team
of six developers, one designer, one marketer, and myself. I’m very proud to say that our little crew has been managing to delight thousands of customers for years.
In addition to this position, I’m currently in the process of hiring a Developer Writer
with plans for more soon. We have big plans for 2020. Exciting times!
We would like to transition Iain
to a Product Manager role, but he currently spends all his time developing our sites:
- deliciousbrains.com (WooCommerce)
- bettersearchreplace.com (Easy Digital Downloads)
- spinupwp.com (custom checkout)
I want a talented developer to take over lead development of our sites. Iain will review your pull requests, but he won’t be writing much code, if any.
In the past, WordPress development has been very PHP-heavy. But that has changed. React is taking over WordPress core, WooCommerce, and lots of plugins (including ours
). So although working on our sites is still mostly PHP, the React work will be ramping up.
A specific React project we’ll tackle soon is to extend the new WooCommerce Admin
reports to include reporting for our custom software licensing and subscriptions addon.
- Develop our custom software licensing and subscriptions addon for WooCommerce that runs on deliciousbrains.com (who knows, maybe we’ll turn this into a product someday)
- Develop the APIs that our WordPress plugins connect to for licensing, support, statistics, cloud features, etc
- Work with our designer and marketing team to implement new sections, pages, promotions, pricing, etc.
- Chip away at the backlog of fixes and improvements
- Maintain and write new acceptance tests
- Test WordPress core and third-party plugin updates and fix any issues
- Help maintain the servers running our sites
- Write articles and tutorials for our blog
- Attend company retreats (see details below)
- 10,000+ hours (6+ years working full-time) of advanced PHP development
- 10,000+ hours of HTML & CSS development
- 5,000+ hours (3+ years working full-time) of advanced WordPress plugin development
- 1,600+ hours (1+ years working full-time) of project work with git as source control
- Experience writing automated tests
- Excellent English communication skills (spoken and written)
- Work hours that overlap with the BST/GMT (London) timezone
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Experience developing in React
- System administration skills
- UX and design skills
- Open source contributions
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
Although this is the plan to start, I’ve shuffled people around lots so your role is certainly not set in stone.
You’re curious and love to learn. You embrace the opportunity to level up, learn something new and really dig into it. You’re a disciplined worker and have no trouble getting work done at home on any given day.
You value consistency above preference and will adopt new coding styles, standards, and tools to that end. You are stellar at identifying the simple, elegant solution in a sea of over-engineering possibilities.
Although you often need people to help you generate ideas and formulate a plan of attack on a project, you do your best work in isolation without interruption. You’re proactive in tackling things that need to be done without direction.
You’re exceptional at communicating in writing via instant message, email, etc. You’re ok on the phone and video chat too. You understand that clear, concise written communication is how remote teams thrive. Putting a pull request up for review without explaining its context is unheard of for you.
You own both successes and failures. When a project you’re leading turns into a disaster, you own it and you learn from it. You never point the finger at others.
You invite criticism
and genuinely want to grow as a professional. You’re onboard with pushing each other to be better
and are not afraid to give constructive criticism in addition to receiving it.
- Location Independent. Work from wherever you’re happiest, as long as you can make scheduled meetings.
- Choose Your Schedule. Most companies claim to have flexible hours, but the reality is often very different. We flex our hours for real. 💪As long you’re hitting 30-37.5 hours per week on average and you do what you say you’ll do, we’re good.
- Company Retreats. As a remote company, it’s super important to get some face time. Last year we met up in Berlin and we’re headed to Portugal in June. Will you be joining us?
- Personal Development. If there’s a conference or event that will help you level up, the company will cover your expenses. You’re also allotted 3 hours per month to learn something new, participate in community discussions, and/or contribute to an open source project.
- Profit Sharing. I present a Profit & Loss report to the team quarterly so everyone knows how the company is doing. And when the company does well, the team does well.
- Company Holidays. Things get pretty quiet in late December / early January, so we always treat ourselves to a couple of weeks off to reboot during this time.
- Paid Leave. For the birth or adoption of a child, the company offers 8 weeks of 100% paid leave for primary caregivers and 3 weeks for secondary caregivers. We also offer 5 paid sick days and 3 days of paid bereavement leave.
- Competitive Salaries. The company pays salaries that are competitive with the market in which you reside. We don’t use the benefits of remote as leverage to negotiate lower salaries.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Application information that is prone to unconscious biases is hidden during the review process whenever possible. We judge the content of the applications on their own without knowledge of the applicant’s race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. We support workplace diversity, but not at the expense of equal opportunity and meritocracy. We’re looking for talented and empathetic people no matter their other attributes.
I look forward to reviewing your application.
Best of luck,
Founder & CEO
Delicious Brains Inc.