Industrial designer works with many different specialists, such as engineers, product management, marketing, and sales, to create new product designs for customer-facing outlets. The position will work with market research and development to assess the product performance characteristics required by customers and establish visual characteristics that will give the sales team an edge in the marketplace.
The designer creates and sketches several different design ideas and presents these options to marketing. Industrial designers go to work creating computer renderings with CAD programs and graphic design or photo imaging software; they also create 3-dimensional files, all to help customers visualize the product.
1) Draft sketches and create illustrations of products to make it more appealing to customers in customer-facing outlets.
2) Use blueprints, detailed drawings, or computer-aided designs to create product files for social, tool download, printed collateral, and website.
3) Fabricate new models using product samples and existing engineering drawings.
4) Revise models according to marketing specifications.
5) Research trends in design.
6) Work with engineering, marketing, production, and/or sales departments to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products.
7) Present designs to marketing for approval.
8) Test designs in focus groups or surveys.
9) Perform research on appearance, function, market characteristics.
10) Develop industrial standards and regulatory guidelines.
11) Take part in specialist or multidisciplinary team meetings.
12) Proficient in SolidWorks, AutoDesk Revit, AutoDesk AutoCAD, Visio, Sketchup, and Bluebeam
13) Create and maintain standard product design tools including BIM Revit, AutoCAD 2D, Visio stencils and others as required; field questions from customers that need assistance with design tools.
14) Work with other designers, product managers and members of marketing to evaluate product designs to meet CPI brand guidelines
15) Convey and maintain the look and feel of the CPI brand through product and application renderings for use in a variety of marketing assets.
• Proactively engage with the sales teams for customer needs to optimize the impact of design on website(s), tools, and documentation.
• Reviews new technologies and keeps the company at the forefront of developments in design.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
• Excellent communicator, highly organized and has ability to communicate to technical and non-technical audience.
• Highly driven, innovative, problem solver and team player ready to excel.
• Must understand how products are engineered and work together mechanically.
• A strong propensity towards art and engineering; drawing skills, creativity and technical knowledge are critical.
• Must have a good sense of color, balance and proportion.
• Proficient in Computer-Aided Design Software – SolidWorks, AutoDesk Revit, AutoDesk, AutoCAD, Visio, Sketchup, and Bluebeam.’
• Relentlessly high standards, detail-oriented and deadline-driven.
• Strong project management skills and ability to simultaneously manage multiple programs.
• Knowledge of Data Center industry a plus (companies, terms, challenges) but not required.
• Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, architecture or engineering.
• Internship and work portfolio beneficial.
• Some travel required.
• Teamwork: collaborates with others, builds positive relationships, adaptable to change
• Creativity: creative, flexible, ability to juggle multiple projects.
• Communication: verbal, written and listening
• Ethical/Integrity: trustworthy, honest
• Interpersonal Skills: can work independently under deadlines, perform conflict resolution
• Conceptual Skills: convey innovative ideas through design
• Fosters teamwork, caring and commitment