ASSA ABLOY is looking for an Industrial Design Manager to join our product development team at our US headquarters in New Haven, Connecticut.
This position involves collaborating across multiple operating units in our Americas division and alongside our international team of designers. This is an outstanding opportunity to be fully involved and experience all phases of product development, from concept thru market launch.
As our subject matter expert in industrial design, you will lead the product design roadmap for industry leading brands in the architectural door opening and access solutions categories. Showcase your design skills and assume ownership of a robust and evolving product portfolio. The Industrial Design Manager ensures that designs continue to meet high standards for aesthetics, functionality and manufacturability for new and mature products. While innovation is at our core, many of our product offerings stay in service for a decade or longer. Helping grow the decorative door hardware business through design will be a key focus. You will be deeply involved in projects from research and ideation and will work with the new product development team all the way through production. You will also have day-to-day management of initiatives and internal as well as external design resources. You will:
• Spearhead industrial design in each division and drive culture of design in the regions
• Support the regions in their design activities to ensure that visual and tactile product design is consistently maintained
• Collaborate with Director of Decorative Openings to identify design opportunities for unique hardware collections and custom design solutions
• Identify and visualize design opportunities within the divisional product portfolio
• Develop an understanding of trends in commercial and institutional architecture and design in our key vertical markets as well as an awareness of competitive product offerings
• Manage an existing industrial designer on staff and build the team further over time
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Represent the Americas region – report initiatives and accomplishments to ASSA ABLOY Americas senior management and the Global ID Director
• Champion ID – seek out products and opportunities for ID across all entities, educate coworkers in the organization about the benefits of ID, identify design award opportunities for products and assist in the application process, mentor newer designers and guide their career development within ASSA ABLOY
• Design Strategy – develop and maintain regional specific guidelines, implement and oversee compliance to global and regional guidelines
• Design Process – develop and maintain the design process within the new product development gateway process. Collaborate closely with decorative solutions business development, product management, and marketing.
• Design Research – initiate category or product specific voice of customer and end-user research to initiate insights and concepts. Facilitate and or participate in product design brainstorming
• Design – create designs based on a thorough understanding of design-functionality relationships, application, budget, product capabilities, codes and standards, serviceability, materials, and supply chain
• Manage ID projects – collect and translate marketing objectives into clear strategies with input from customers, sales, engineering, and operations, designing and refining the concepts for mass production. Scoping projects, identifying resources, maintaining adherence to the ID process, leading internal and external resources
• Support Product Marketing – convey design attributes contributing to unique selling features, generating digital imagery use to market and promote new products, support structure and graphic packaging design initiatives, assist in development of instructions and tools for end users
• Design Patents – communicate concepts regularly with the Americas IP manager to ensure designs are protected
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
• Treat employees equally without regard to race, religion, handicap, and veteran status, sex, national origin or age in accordance with all local, state, and federal, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan regulations.
Educational Requirements, Skills and Abilities:
• BA/BS degree in Industrial Design
• Seven to 10 years of design experience with technical commercial products
• Ability to build and lead a design team preferred
• Strong understanding of the product design/development process including product construction, materials and manufacturing methods and constraints.
• Proficiency with 3D modeling software (e.g. SolidWorks) as well as 2D and 3D design software
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects, tasks and priorities in a deadline-driven environment.
• Excellent project management skills
• Ability to influence and work through cross-functional teams without formal authority
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to interact effectively and influence at all levels of an organization
• High Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Occasional travel required