Who we are
Mijksenaar is a design consultancy specializing in wayfinding with offices in New York City and Amsterdam. Through our work, we connect people and places in a meaningful way. We help passengers to find their way in major international airports, we guide tourists and residents through the most beautiful streets of a city and we let children determine their way at the zoo.
We see every visit, ride and trip as a journey—all of which we strive to make easier, more efficient and more fun. We apply our research-based, user-focused approach to airports, transportation hubs, municipalities, offices, hospitals, cultural institutions, parks, campuses and more.
As a Senior Designer at Mijksenaar USA, you’ll lead the design process from beginning to end. We’re seeking candidates with in-depth experience leading projects and giving creative direction, excellent graphic design and/or 3D design capabilities and analytic and strategic thinking skills. You’ll be at the helm of projects large and small: leading team members of all levels, acting as a key project decision maker and owning client interactions.
Day to day, you’ll frequently be involved in research and analysis (conducting field and desk research, writing analysis reports); strategy (planning and leading projects, liaising with clients); and design (giving creative direction, designing signage systems, determining sign programming and placement). We’re looking for someone who’s eager to lead, takes initiative and brings a unique perspective and skillset to our fast-growing team.
Desired skills and qualifications
• Undergraduate or master’s degree in communication or graphic design, industrial design, experience design, architecture, digital media, urban design, or comparable field
• 7–10+ years of experience in wayfinding, architecture, information design, or a related field, especially leading projects and giving creative direction
• Experienced with project management: scoping, budgeting and directing tasks
• Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite; knowledge of 3D design programs (e.g. SketchUp, Solidworks, Rhino, Revit, AutoCAD) a plus
• Ability to think outside the box to shape and improve project approaches
• Creative, analytical and curious mindset
• Ability to collaborate with remote team members in different time zones
• Excellent communication skills, on-line, in writing and in person
• Positive, friendly and eager to take on any challenge, large or small
• Proactive approach, ability to meet deadlines and strive for the best result
Details of employment
We offer salary commensurate with experience; medical, dental and vision plans; vacation, sick days and federal holidays; 401(k) with employer match; plus additional benefits in the works.
The position is available to candidates authorized to work in the United States.
Interested? Send a cover letter, resume and portfolio to: [email protected]
, attn: Nicole Leighton