Senior backend engineer @ Arweave
PERMANENT – ON-SITE OR REMOTE – FULL TIME
Arweave is a permanent information storage network, built on a new type of blockchain called a blockweave. We are working to solve the problem of the ‘memory hole’, as formulated by George Orwell in Nineteen Eighty-Four, by building the first data storage medium that truly never forgets. Arweave works by rewarding network participants for contributing hard disk space to the network, in a similar fashion to proof of work in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
If you like the challenge of working with interesting algorithms, the unconventional work of engineering an independent peer to peer network, statistical problems, cryptography, mechanism design, economics and OS architecture, then we are looking for you
- Work in the core protocol team to grow and improve the Arweave protocol & network, working closely with the rest of the senior engineering, and devops team.
- Take part in every step of development: designing & planning, structuring, implementing, testing, deploying, monitoring & instrumenting, and maintaining.
- Participate in regular code reviews, and provide constructive feedback.
- Stay up-to-date with modern product development including libraries, tools, browser support, and frameworks.
- Solid understanding and experience in at least one functional programming language, and ideally one or more distributed systems, such as Cassandra, Map/Reduce, etc.
- Several years experience writing production-level code in Erlang, using tools such as cowboy, rebar3, etc.,would be a big plus, but not required.
- A mature mind-set towards development, with emphasis on methodical, thought-out approaches, and data-backed decision making.
- Familiarity with blockchain concepts like consensus algorithms (such as Proof of Work/PoW), Byzantine fault tolerance and a good understanding of cryptography
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, agile, and dynamic environment.
- Strong sense of responsibility and ownership.
- Able to work without too much supervision and take tasks from planning stage to deployment.
- Strong networking fundamentals are required for this role.
- At least rudimentary Linux/UNIX system administration skills.
- Interest in high-performance software, tweaking everything from kernel- to network-level parameters to squeeze out every last bit.
- Contributions to open-source and familiarity with OSS as a whole.
- Working knowledge of one or more SQL-based systems, such as MySQL, MariaDB, SQLite, PostgreSQL, and KV-based systems also a plus.
By providing permanent, low-cost, and truly censorship-resistant data storage for everyone, we strive to democratise the information space. To achieve this, our team has built and now supports an online, open source, blockchain-based network providing decentralised data storage distributed worldwide.
- We’re an English-language team of very skilled and highly motivated entrepreneurs and hackers with diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
- In spring 2018, we graduated from the Techstars Berlin accelerator programme and have access to a worldwide network of expert advisors and investors.
Arweave is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from everybody.