Position: Product Designer
Department: Product Design & Development
Reporting to: VP, Product Design
Location: Chicago, IL (Hybrid)*
Status: Full-Time, Permanent
*This position will primarily be work-from-home with some time in the office; at all times adhering to Covid-19 public health and safety measures.
Since it was founded more than 35 years ago, California Innovations has grown to become the world’s leading provider of soft sided coolers and insulated lunch packs. The company has maintained its leadership position by focusing on performance and fashion, with an emphasis on proprietary technologies that make the company’s products work better.
We created the ?rst collapsible cooler, the ?rst soft sided rolling cooler, the ?rst soft sided cooler with plastic liner, the ?rst Zipperless™ cooler, and many, many more innovative products! California Innovations carries Arctic Zone®, Titan, AZ Pro, Life is Good, Kelly Ventura, Food Pro, Columbia, Dabney Lee and Interlockers® Food Storage brands. The company enjoys vast penetration in all retail channels with presence in big box retailers ranging from Costco, Walmart and Target, to QVC, Kroger, Walgreens, Carrefour and ASDA. Check us out at www.arcticzone.com!
Here at CI…
• Leadership, innovation, and creativity are in our DNA.
• We are passionate and inclusive. Our environment is friendly and supportive.
• Integrity & Commitment to Quality drives us and infuses everything we do.
We are headquartered in Toronto, with offices in Montréal, the US and China and distribute our products globally.
We are seeking a creative and ambitious Product Designer to join our fun-loving design & development team based out of our Chicago office. The successful candidate has a background in product design and development, ideally with experience in insulated products, handbags, luggage and/or other soft goods or related consumer goods industry. Knowledge of construction techniques and pattern drafting (i.e. cut and sew) is an asset. Most importantly, though, you have a passion for working collaboratively in a team environment and creating awesome products! A love for dogs is ideal; a tolerance of them is a must.
• Develop innovative new features and profiles
• Develop new prints and patterns, ensuring all items are developed within the appropriate timeline
• Research competitive products and current trends, apply them appropriately to product development
• Prepare presentation CADs and factory artwork for new or existing items
• Review development samples for construction and cost
• Review lab dip and pattern swatches for production
• Attend meetings and liaise with Product Management teams as required
• Other duties as required
The Ideal Candidate Is:
• A graduate from an Industrial Design program
• At least 3 years of experience in product design and development
• Experienced with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
• An excellent communicator for clarifying design/technical issues with factories overseas
• A creative thinker with a meticulous eye for detail
• Organized, thorough and able to prioritize
• Reliable and self-motivated; a team player, yet able to work without close supervision
• Able to work under pressure with the ability to professionally accept and provide feedback
Nice-to-Haves but Not Musts:
• Knowledge of SolidWorks and/or other 3D CAD packages would be considered an asset
• Knowledge of textiles, synthetic materials and hardware
• Experience with surface design and accessories
If this sounds like you, and you’d like to join a team of passionate and dedicated people who love the meaningful work we do, we’d like to hear from you! Please include a resume and portfolio of work and/or work samples.
What we will offer the successful candidate:
• Market competitive compensation
• Participation in our Health, Dental and Vision Benefits program
• Participation in our Retirement Savings Plan and Partial Company Match
• Participation in our Tuition Reimbursement Program
• Metro Pass reimbursement for our transit commuters
• We appreciate how important flexibility is to our employees. While we work hard to meet business and customer needs, we balance that with flexibility needs.
• Be part of a culture that supports professional growth and development
• Year-round employee events
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values the unique skills and experiences of each of our candidates; recognizing that each prospective team member of California Innovations, Inc. contributes to our efforts in building a diverse and inclusive place to work.
Should you require any disability-related accommodation to support your participation in our recruitment process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.