Tandem is the leading global language learning community, where 18 million members in over 180 countries practice languages together. The concept of learning from each other is not only an integral part of the Tandem community but it is also at the heart of our everyday lives at Tandem. This shared connection through learning helps us to grow and enhances the language journeys of our members.
We are based in Berlin and are backed by top European investors. We are highly international and driven by a shared passion for languages, technology, and culture. Together, we are on a mission to build a product that not only teaches a new skill but also encourages meaningful cross-cultural conversations.
Your role will be to:
You are the right fit for the role if you:
- Lead the transformation of Tandem into a fully data-driven organization by unleashing the immense potential of data and promoting the usage of insightful data products across all teams at Tandem (product, growth, marketing).
- Develop, improve and implement a long-term data strategy, proactively identify opportunities where machine learning and analytics can enhance our understanding of the Tandem community and the learning success of our members.
- Enable diverse teams with access to data and support them to get the most value out of it, by understanding their requirements, defining relevant KPIs, mapping them with existing data sources and making them available to business stakeholders via self-service tools.
- Work closely with the team to further develop our data infrastructure (data pipelines, data warehouse, data visualization).
- Clearly communicate findings and methodology through visualization, written communication, presentations and internal tools.
- Provide technical growth opportunities to your team with meaningful & contextual feedback.
- Report directly to the CEO and own the data function.
Passion for languages
- Have 3-5+ years of experience in data modeling, machine learning and architecting data pipelines/warehousing solutions, ideally in the mobile consumer space. Experience with ETL/ELT tools such as dbt or Airflow is a big plus.
- Have at least 2+ years of experience in leading and mentoring data teams, promoting a growth mindset, and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Have strong project & product management skills with experience using agile frameworks and managing stakeholders.
- Have first-hand experience with cloud databases like Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift or Snowflake (We are using Snowflake).
- Are familiar with the mobile app and marketing ecosystem, for example attribution, performance, event tracking and behavioural analytics, user segmentation, subscriptions and payment analytics.
- Are an excellent communicator with strong oral and written communication skills in English, and comfortable to communicate data logic to non-experts.
We're a team of 34 people speaking 20 languages fluently between us. For those wanting to improve their German (or Denglisch!), you can join one of our German classes on us.
Take a deep dive
As a Tandem team member, we’ll give you a budget for up to 6 “Deep Dive Days” per year. Pick a topic you’ve always wanted to explore for your professional development that has never made it out of your backlog. Then book a cabin in the woods or whatever matches your individual learning style.
Teams who train together, stay together
We offer Urban Sports Club gym memberships to boost our team’s physical and mental health. If you prefer, we can contribute to your monthly public transport ticket instead.
It takes a team to Tandem
Bonding with our teammates outside of our normal work routine is important to us. We organize regular team events: from day trips to regular lunches, to Friday beers, summer BBQs, and board games.
Life isn’t just about work. We know when to snooze Slack notifications, recharge our batteries, and take time out for our personal hobbies. As we’re mostly working from home right now, it’s even more important to be able to switch off from work and relax.
As part of our family-friendly company philosophy, we embrace flexible working hours, welcome families to our events, and love for our kids to visit the office and get a taste of life at Tandem.
Relocation without the stress
If you’re looking to relocate to Berlin, we’re ready to assist you with the infamous German bureaucracy. Many of us have been through it before, so we have plenty of tips to share. You’ll feel settled in no time.
One size doesn't fit all
Nowadays, we’re all about a flexible and modern approach to working. Whether you’d like to work from our office in the heart of Berlin-Mitte, from the comfort of your home, or even a mixture of both, we’ll contribute to your work setup.