Rex is on a mission to help pet owners take the best care of their best friends. We are rebuilding veterinary care from the ground up, with a focus on great customer experience on the one hand, and happiness, growth and development for our team on the other hand. We just started Rex and are putting together a AAA team. Join the pack!
What we're looking for
As Backend Engineer you will shape the core of our company from the beginning and help create our technological backbone. With a great amount of responsibility and in close collaboration with our product team, you will drive our software solutions forward.
Candidates are expected to bring significant software development experience to meaningful help building up our platform architecture.
This is an incredible opportunity to shape a category-leading healthcare brand from day 1 and make a meaningful impact on the future of the veterinary industry.
Your skills and experience
- Technology: You will design, build, and work on our technological backbone. You will be responsible to design and develop Rex’s growing backend systems and APIs to support our consumer-facing applications as well as our practice management software.
- Best Practices: You will be responsible to develop high-quality code that scales and fits our business needs as well as all relevant tests to ensure reliable implementation. You should consider best practice non-functional requirements such as security and performance for all developed solutions. You will also help define coding standards and best practices for our engineering team to establish a high-quality tech culture, as well as a fast customer-feedback cycle and empathy for the end-user.
- Collaboration: You are expected to contribute to a collaborative atmosphere. You will also work closely and effectively with our operations and product teams to ensure the optimal functionality and user experience.
We know that you can't always tick every box. We'd still love to hear from you if you think you'd be a good fit!
- 3+ years of professional experience as a software engineer with a technical background and ideally with digital consumer offerings in high-growth environments
- Experience in modern engineering practices such as continuous integration & delivery, modern engineering architectures (micro-services, event-driven etc.) and design tooling
- Drive for leading initiatives and features till the end, keeping technical feasibility and best practices such as clean code in mind
- Ideally, significant experience in:
- Cloud infrastructure (e.g. DigitalOcean, AWS) and containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Integrations with 3rd parties / APIs (e.g. REST, GraphQL)
- Modern web application backends (e.g. Node.js, TypeScript)
- We are not really looking for particular technologies experts, but for cross-language engineers for whom a specific stack is just a tool to solve a problem, not the solution itself
Our frontend applications are written in React.Js, Next.Js, and Typescript - helping us focusing on speed, flexibility and performance.
Our backend services are written in Node.Js and TypeScript - allowing us to get going and keep iterating quickly.
Our code is hosted on GitHub, for our databases we use PostgreSQL, and our infrastructure is hosted and deployed on DigitalOcean.
Join our pack - be part of a highly driven team of exceptional people and work in an empowering environment in which we support you with autonomy and actionable feedback to grow.
Shape a young, fast-moving startup and its culture from the start and support us meaningfully to achieve our ambitions - redefining the future of pet health and transforming the veterinary industry.
You will be part of the initial core engineering team at Rex and will be able to take significant responsibility to grow professionally as well as to pursue your career goals at lightning speed.
We highly value your work and your contribution to Rex - we offer you competitive compensation packages with fixed salary, virtual equity shares, and a personal budget e.g., for sports or education
Healthy body, healthy mind - enjoy free healthy snacks and drinks in our Berlin-Mitte office, flexible (remote) working hours, and regular team dinners/events to connect with your colleagues.
We care about your pets, too - bring your pet to work and keep track of your pet’s health through free check-ups at one of our Rex practices. 🐶✌🏻