Hi, we are Briza
! A globally distributed, remote-first tech startup building the world’s leading API for commercial insurance.
Before Briza, it took small and medium size businesses weeks and a lot of paperwork to get their company insured. Often, that lack of insurance is what blocks companies from moving forward. Our product reduces that time to minutes and some API requests (or a click of a button).
Changing a thousand years old industry is not a trivial task but we are a startup like no other. We are building for the long term. We are a company that solves a real, enormous problem in a multi-billion dollar industry and we know the domain exceptionally well. We are on a journey of innovation, growth, and transformation and looking for people that are interested in being a part of our story.
Founded in 2016 by Ben Munro
, a seasoned insurance executive with over 20 years of commercial underwriting experience, and Mike McDerment
, founder of FreshBooks
, we continue to expand our team with some of the sharpest people in both the software and insurance industries.
We are a growing company of builders, innovators and compassionate/supportive, collaborative people that believe small teams have a huge impact.
- To quote one of our Brizans you will get the opportunity to “get the best out of yourself” at Briza.
- Our team is diverse, and globally distributed meaning that you could be a part of Briza from virtually anywhere.
- We work in a focused but balanced way - we’re fast and nimble but not chaotic nor frantic.
- You will be part of an environment that believes and cultivates work-life balance and cherishes the culture of experimentation.
- You will get an opportunity to build a new product category and revolutionize an industry.
Come join us and bring your authentic self to work.
What you bring
Don’t worry if you don’t have all these things, we believe in investing in personal growth and can coach you to be successful.
- Natural curiosity and determination to solve problems
- Desire to build things, innovate, and make things better
- Being part of a collaborative team environment where supporting your colleagues is appealing to you
- The ability to work in remote-first environment with a diverse and distributed team
Your knowledge and expertise
We are open to people familiar with other languages as long as you’re open to learning our stack.
- You have experience building software applications, infrastructure/rails, API products or developer platforms
- You embrace good software design principles and can contribute to RFC
- You obsess over details while appreciating the big picture; connecting the dots between customer, product and systems
- You understand the value of automated tests (unit, integration) as a means to ship quickly with confidence
What you’ll be doing
- Design, build, maintain and evolve an API product and developer platform with fellow engineers, designers and product managers
- Get close to customers in order to understand their use cases
- Debug issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Improve our engineering standards, processes, monitoring and tooling
Work From Anywhere
While we originate from Canada, we are a remote-first, globally distributed company with team members located in 3 continents and 6 countries. You have the freedom to choose where to work, and we will support you in making it a great experience.
For those who prefer office work, we have a voluntary option to relocate to Canada, and we will help you with your visa.
Other details you may want to know
- Talent screen (30-45mins)
- Technical and Team Fit (30 mins)
- Paired Programming Exercise (60-90 mins)
- Values fit (30 mins)
If all goes well, and you feel that Briza is the place you want to build your career, we'll make an offer and ask for references.
Compensation: the target range for this role is between $5415-7165 CAD per month (net, B2B). How we determine your compensation on this range is based on where you are at in your career and we try to figure that out through our hiring process. If your compensation expectation is outside this range but you are still interested in the role or Briza let us know - we would love the opportunity to get to know you.
Perks & benefits:
- Flexible working hours - the only requirement is 3-4 hours overlap with Toronto
- Unlimited PTO(with a required minimum leave of 3 weeks)
- 2500 USD hardware credit
- 60 USD per month internet supplemental
- 400 USD home office set-up
- 1000 USD tuition reimbursement
Some of the people you may meet - the hiring team: (if you click on the name it will take you to their LinkedIn Profile!)
Building a Diverse, Inclusive, Distributed Team
At Briza, we believe diversity breeds excellence. We have a global workforce with team members on, or recruited from, 6 continents. At Briza, people live wherever they work best. It’s a distributed team, but we also make it easy to relocate to Canada with your family if you want.
In addition to diversity there are our values. We believe in:
- Ownership - We make durable decisions that consider the interests of Brizans, customers and shareholders
- Ambition - We're rewriting an industry, so that buying business insurance is easy.
- Teamwork - It takes a village. We lean on each other's strengths to grow and succeed.
- Honesty - Say what you mean and mean what you say. We're comfortable receiving and delivering feedback.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates around the world, including indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
*Please note* Our email to you may be going into your Spam or Promotions folders. Please be on the lookout for our emails to you as our intention is for you to hear from us within 3 business days.
Other resources you may find useful